35

Tw. Mentions self harm

Dear Dr Hood,

First and foremost, thank you for being so cooperative with us last night. We understand how much paperwork there was to complete, and how distressing it can be to temporarily hand over the care of your child to us.

Today was all about introducing Sage to our system. Our aim was to introduce them to the staff, the timetabled activities, and help them meet other children their age. Unfortunately we did not meet these goals, however we rarely ever do, and I am optimistic about their progress. It is only the first day, after-all, but I am going to be completely honest about Sage's experiences.

Last night was hard for Sage as they showed a lot of distress about the 1:1 remaining in their room. They refused comfort from the staff, and did push a little when someone got too close, but this morning when I reviewed everything we had on Sage, it was clear to me that this is how they are going to be- and that is okay. I am determined to help start the journey to relief from the terror that their past has caused them, and will approach them with compassion and patience. In regards to the sleeping, we compromised, and they slept alone in a safe room with no supervision. Sleep is important for progression.

When they woke up, we offered them the opportunity to shower, or change, but once back in their own room they laid down and faced the wall. I am over the moon to say they complied with breakfast, and helped themselves to a pile of pancakes with syrup, then they brushed their teeth and climbed back into bed.

We tried to get them to come to a group therapy session, but they declined. Expectedly, they didn't partake in any activities we have on a Sunday, which was a shame, but it is often overwhelming for teens to come into this environment. Some of them feel shame, too.

Instead, they had an appointment with one of our paediatricians, whose main concern is that Sage is under weight. We are hoping to continue the progress you have no doubt made in terms of their growth. I have been informed that while Sage was in there, they expressed discomfort where their self- harm was, and allowed the doctor to take a look, who then cleaned and redressed it. We are a little concerned about infection, but Sage has agreed to go and have their dressing changed again so that we can watch out for it. They are making the staff really proud!

For lunch they had a sandwich, and then I cleared my schedule for a couple of hours and went down to introduce myself. Having been with women all day, I was a bit of a shock for them for sure, and they did begin to get distressed again. However, I finally got to start a conversation, and by the end of it, I was invited to sit one end of their bed as they sat the other .

It was a tough conversation, which has led to my executive decision to put two leading doctors on their case. While I will be doing talking therapy as often as possible, one of my most trusted psychologists will be giving Sage sessions to help them with coping mechanisms and their present worries. He is called Dr Knight (Sage will know him as Mark), and often builds good rapport with our patients.

I do believe Sage is suffering from depression and PTSD, and hope that by the end of this week I will be able to medicate them. However I can see that they have an imaginative soul, and have a strong spirit.

They chose to have a vegetable curry for their last meal of the day, and we have just invited them to movie night, but they declined. It hasn't been an easy day for them, but they have faced it with resilience, and we are looking forward to helping Sage with their journey.

I would like to remind you that visiting hours are 6pm-7pm. They miss you all a lot, but when I told them I was proud of their compliance, they replied with one thing.
'I know I have to be here'

I wish you and your family the best during these times, and cannot wait to meet you so that we can discuss more in person.

Kind Regards,

Dr Fahri