20

Calum

When I heard someone moving around, I looked up, spotting Rider slowly blink his eyes open.

Immediately, I grabbed his teddy and sat beside him, quietly shushing him as he began to whimper.

"I've got you buddy,"

"I'm hungry,"

"Yeah?" I said, helping him sit up, "We can get you some soup,"

"Mac and cheese,"

"Not today, but I'll make some when you can chew better,"

"Today,"

"Not today," I said calmly, "How do you feel?"

"Okay,"

"Luke should be getting Gia soon, would you like her to come here?"

"Yes please,"

"Alright, I won't text him otherwise. Dr Sam said you have done really well,"

"I want a drink,"

I grabbed my bottle of water and poured it into a cup for him, brushing my fingers through his hair as he slowly sipped it.

"Is Sage asleep?"

"They are, but hopefully not for too long. They had less medicine, so we can change you both back into pyjamas soon. I am so proud of you sweetheart,"

"Did the photos look good?"

"They did,"

"I dreamt that you adopted me. When will you?"

"Not for a while, you have only been here a few days, and it takes a few months,"

"Okay. You can still be my dad,"

I grabbed him some colouring and we sat together in silence, waiting for either Sage to wake up, or Gia to arrive. The latter happened first, and the pair of them sat on his bed with the colouring.

"How was your day, angel?"

"Good, but I was worried about Sage and Rider all day,"

"They are both absolutely okay. How about you have the day off tomorrow too, and we can make sure they both have what they need?"

"Yes please,"

"We can hang out for a bit,"

"Sage is moving,"

I turned and saw them shifting around, their heart rate picking up like last time. There was something about the feeling of coming off medication that really bugged them, which really bugged me because I could imagine what it might be.

Gia slid off the bed and held their hand, but Sage pulled away and propped themselves up, looking round the room.

"Hey, Sage. It's Calum,"

"I know,"

"How are you feeling?"

They laid back down and rubbed their eyes, breaking into small sobs again.

"Oh darling, we will get through this,"

"I want Rider,"

"He's right over here,"

"I want him,"

"You can't quite yet,"- "Rider!"

"I am attached to the machines," he said, "When you feel okay we can go home,"

"Don't let mum and dad in,"

"Your mum and dad have died. They can't hurt you anymore,"

"Rider, please come here,"