16

Calum

"I think that was successful, don't you?" I said, now home from shopping.

"Thank you,"

"Yes, thank you dad,"

"That's okay, how is your soup?"

"Yummy. Sage, when will you call him dad?"

"I don't know,"

"Soon?"

"They don't have to," I said, "It is their choice,"

"I guess because I didn't have a dad it was easier,"

"You did have a dad," Sage said, "He was biologically your dad,"

"But he wasn't a dad,"

"He still earnt money for us to have a shelter, and uniform,"

"But he touched you, and me,"

They pursed their lip and went back to eating their soup, Rider looking at me for direction. Thankfully we were home, a choice made because most places served solid food.

"Both of you have valid feelings, and I know they clash, but we can respect that we all feel different,"

"I know, but he's literally telling a lie when he says he had no dad,"

"Being a dad isn't biological," he whined, "He wasn't my dad. Stop saying it. Stop it!"

"Rider, if you want to go and have some space in the living room, you can,"

He swiped his tears away and took his bowl to the sofa, Sage watching. Their shoulders were hunched, and their face grew red, their eyebrows twitching.

They pushed their food away and rested their head on their chin, sighing.

"I think you are both stressed, and going through some difficult emotions," I whispered, "He still loves you,"

"I know,"

"Can you go and try to brush your teeth before we go?"

"I can't,"

"Okay," I nodded, "We will get going in a moment,"

I took our dishes into the kitchen, then Rider brought his in, and gave me a hug. Gently, I rubbed his back and then ruffled his hair, nodding towards the door.

"Shall we go and get your teeth checked out?"

"Yes,"

"Do you think you can brush them before we go?"

"No,"

"Let's go then! And then we can pick Gia up from school,"

"I'm putting my new shoes on,"

"Good idea,"

I unlocked the car and Sage got into the front while I waited for Rider to tie his shoe laces. He did it surprisingly well, and I had no doubt that Sage had taught him.

He got into the back of the car and then we set off again.

Tomorrow I hoped we could stay in and get to know each other some more, because they had been thrown in on the deep end.

It was the hardest part for me. You wanted to hug them, and nurture them, and get to understand them, but they had so many primitive needs that needed tending to that it had to come second. They needed clothing and medical attention more than an afternoon of baking.

And it was even harder because a lot of kids that came into your home- apart from Rider, which I believed was actually due to the trauma he seemed to have gone through- really weren't fond of a new parental figure, nor the attention and affection.