33

Calum

Ash and I got back home, so I went upstairs and climbed into the bed with Luke, while Ash crashed on the sofa downstairs.

In the night, Luke and I had ended up cuddling, and both woke with a start when we became conscious of another being.

"Damn we are lonely," he laughed, "Did you come to me, or did I come to you?"

"I dunno, I probably came to you," I yawned.

"What time did you get in?"

"Around midnight,"

"Wow,"

"We got to the place around 9, but it took a while for us to talk to the nurses, and get Sage settled. Then I had to sign a shit ton of paper work,"

"How were they?" he asked, checking the time on his phone, "They seemed really upset when you left,"

"Numb, then frightened, then upset. Gosh it was the most awful thing I had ever gone through, Luke,"

He wrapped his arms around me and I rested in his hold, shutting my eyes.

They opened again when I heard the front door open, then heard two sets of footsteps come up thestairs, which belonged to Ash and Mike. They joined the hug, Mike making me a little spoon.

"You guys,"

"We're here for you," Ashton said, "And I know what will make you feel better,"

"What?"

"If Michael told us about his date,"

I laughed at Michael's immediate protests, and waited expectantly like the rest of us.

"It was amazing,"

"I'm happy for you,"

"We got to the restaurant, and ordered the food. I got my words out this time. Then I heard about all of this and we went to get Cal and Sage some Mcdonalds, and watched a movie at my place,"

"At least you didn't scare her off," Luke sniggered , "Is there a second date?"

"I'm going over to her house this week,"

"Meanwhile Luke and I cuddled in our sleep,"

"Hey, he did that to me too!" Ash said.

"So it's you that's lonely,"

I poked his side and he smacked my hand, both of us laughing.

None of us had been very quiet or mindful of the kids in the house, so we were cut off by Rider entering the room, stumbling back to the wall when he saw us all.

Warily, he studied us all, then Luke and Ash climbed off the bed to make space for him.

"We'll get Gia and make breakfast,"

He climbed up onto my bed and laid next to me the same was I was laid beside Michael, but facing me. His eyes were puffy, and tired.

I placed a small kiss on his head and hugged him, tiny sobs escaping that still managed to shake my body a lot.

"I miss Sage,"

"Me too buddy, and they miss you too, but they sent me back here to make sure that you are safe and okay,"

"Can we visit them?"

"Sometime this week we can visit, but we need to give them a few days to settle in and meet some new people. And you are going to get to talk to a therapist this week too,"

"Okay,"

"I know this is scary, and unusual, but they are getting lots of support which will help them be happier,"

"Can't they do that here?" he said, his voice cracking, "With me?"

"Right now they need special doctors. Like if someone came into hospital with a burn, I could do a good job, but Michael could do an extremely good job at helping because he knows a lot more about burns. We can do a good job at helping Sage, but their knowledge on how to help Sage is incredible!"

"They don't know how they like to be hugged, or their favourite foods, or colour, or song,"

"They don't, and they are important things, but right now, there are some even more important issues going on, which they are experts in,"

"I could become an expert,"

"You already are an expert, but this isn't something that their favourite song and a hug can fix. This is a big amount of sadness- they need to be there bud, no matter how upset this makes us,"

He nodded and dried his eyes, burying his head in my chest; I hugged him closely, rubbing circles on his back.

Even if he wasn't in a dangerous situation anymore, Sage was obviously still his protector. Though this might give him some independence, it went without saying that this would be torture for him.

Gia was his best friend, and sister, but nothing could compare to the person you have adored your whole life. Sage was his role model, and to have them stripped away from him without a proper goodbye was heart wrenching.

"Can we spend extra time with your family to make up for it?"

"I am sure we can, bud,"

"Do you have a parent?"

"We can perhaps visit my mum one day, yeah,"

"If you want bud, I can even take you out somewhere," Michael said, "And we can do something fun,"

"Yes please,"

"I'll have a think then,"

Mike climbed off the bed, so Rider followed, pulling me along with him. We all went downstairs and found Gia setting the table, then Rider began to help and she stepped away.

I hugged her tightly and kissed her cheek goodmorning, then went to the kitchen to try and help.

Luke grabbed my shoulders and pushed me back out, so I grumbled and sat at the table with the kids instead.

Gia had left a space between her and Rider, but she didn't seem mad- she seemed scared: it wouldn't surprise me if Rider had shouted yesterday, and it had unsettled her.

"Breakfast is served,"

The guys put down plates of egg and bacon on toast- just egg for me- and then put orange and apple juice out on the table.

"Thank you," I said, the kids echoing.

"Dad, do you think Sage is eating breakfast right now too?"

"I do, and I expect they will be having something really nice,"

"I had waffles, and bacon, and toast, and cereal, and fruit, and porridge, and one time I had cake, when I was there," Gia said, "But I don't want to talk about anything else because everyone is here, and they don't know about me,"

"You only have to talk about what you want, angel,"

"Will Sage have cake?" Rider asked.

"I had cake because it was my birthday, and dad came in the morning before he had to work, and we ate cake together," she said, "It was a very good birthday,"

"But weren't you sad about being alone?"

"No,"

"Oh,"

"Sage will answer your questions when we visit, bud,"

"I just wanna know they're okay,"

"They are, I promise. I wouldn't leave you guys in a place to get hurt, ever,"