23• A bright beginning

Start from the beginning

I darted my eyes away from them but then slowly glanced up when I sensed no movement. God, this is embarrassing. 

They stopped when they heard the click of the door and Evan looked up while the girl turned her head around. Evan froze in his place while the girl groaned on seeing me. Both their hair and clothes were messy. The first few buttons of Evan's shirt were open. 

"Who the hell are you? And don't you know how to knock?" She shrilled.

"Uh..I-" 

"She's a friend." Evan beat me to the answer but I continued anyway. 

"A friend and the new Event Manager that was appointed. And I was told that Evan is not her at the moment so I didn't knock. I am sorry to interrupt you." I was about to close the door and get out of there but Evan stopped me. 

"Wait, Crystal." He looked at the blondie and gave a fake sad smile. "You should leave." 

She groaned and climbed down the table then fixed her tank top and hair. She gave me a glare while walking out but turned around when Evan called for her. 

"Olive. Don't forget to wash up before you enter the kitchen." I ducked my head down to resist the chuckle. 

"Of course, Mr. Sanders." She gritted her teeth and showered fiery glare at both of us. 

"Just a reminder." Evan smiled guiltily at her and then at me when she was out. 

"I'm sorry you had to see that." He sighed and scratched his neck. I didn't say anything and looked elsewhere. Not even it's okay. Because having to witness your best friend getting laid by someone in his office is not okay. 

I sat down on the chair in front of his desk while he excused himself to wash up quickly. When he was back, the awkward air around had vanished because of Evan's silliness that never failed to make me laugh. 

"So, was she the girl who Adrien saw with you at his hotel?" I asked out of curiosity. 

"No. This is Olive. Our assistant chef. That was..." He bit the inside of his cheek. He was thinking of who that was. Goodness. ".. I don't remember who that was." He shrugged. I shook my head at him.

"That night at dinner, Ethan was saying that your parents want you to get settled too." I told him. 

"Tsk. Not happening. Settlement, commitment, they aren't really my thing." 

"So you plan on being this... playboy all your life?"

"Hey, stop with those judgy eyes. And being a playboy is fun and fun is what I live for. Commitments do nothing but tie you to the ground." 

"That's not true. Look at Ethan. He is about to start a family and yet he is living his desired life." I tried to debate. 

"Oh, please don't compare me to that nerd. He probably cannot even spell fun." Evan rolled his eyes. 

"But still, don't you too want a family of your own?" 

He thought for a few seconds, then shrugged. "It doesn't excite me as much as my current life does. At least not for now. I'll think about it later. Maybe when I find someone like you." He winked at me and I chuckled. 

We brushed off the topic and started to discuss work. He gave me a tour of the club and it honestly fascinated me. 

Since it was my first day, Evan also made me cut a cake with the staff to celebrate my welcome. For the first time in life, I had been this excited to work. Thanks to Evan. 

I bid goodbye to Evan when he dropped me home and walked inside the building. When I reached the top floor, I unlocked the penthouse and walked into the dark living room. Surprisingly, the lights of our room were turned on and I assumed that Lily might have left them on after cleaning the room. I shut the door of our room and took my blazer and sandals off before stretching my arms. Just as I removed my crop top and stood there in just my bra and shorts, the door of the room yanked open.