20• A pinch of love

🔹️🔹️Crystal Russell🔹️🔹️

'ADRIEN RUSSELL, CEO'

I grinned largely at the picture that Adrien sent to me of his nameplate in the office. My chest swelled up with pride, looking at his achievement. His office was filled with large bouquets and cards that congratulated him.

But I haven't congratulated him yet.

He deserved better than a gif over text or mere call. I had something special in mind.

He was so excited and happy in the morning, like a kid before a picnic. He voluntarily asked me to knot his tie for him and I was more than happy to do it.

The first thing that I had known about Adrien is that he is a hopeless foodie. The taste of the food was like a switch to his mood. Food is the ultimate solution to anything that concerns Adrien Russell.

I asked Lily about all of Adrien's favourite foods and upon her suggestions, I began cooking a couple of hours before Adrien's time of return. I had also invited his parents for dinner for him to celebrate with them but didn't inform them about my plan.

I was doing the preparations for dinner when the doorbell rang. Lily opened the door and I heard a familiar feminine voice of Mrs. Russell.

"What are you doing?" I turned around at the voice and saw Mrs. Russell who was looking around the messy kitchen with wide eyes.

I chuckled nervously. "Mrs. Russell, please ignore the condition of the kitchen and believe me, I am actually cooking."

"But dear, if you wanted to eat something, you should have asked Lily to cook it for you." She chuckled with a small frown.

"Not for me. Um.. for Adrien." I told her and a small smile graced her lips. "It's his first day as the CEO.. so I thought I should do something special for him. He'd feel good." Her smile reached her ears and she nodded in approval as I told her about the dishes.

She offered help but I politely declined it politely as I had Lily for it.

Almost three hours later, I was done with the cooking. Mr. Russell had also arrived and we all waited for Adrien to return.

One and a half hours.

Adrien was one and a half hours late and all of us had been starving. I specifically asked him to come home early in the morning but instead he is late. I had been working for more than three hours in the hot kitchen. I burned my hand twice while preparing for his surprise. And He. Is. Late.

All my hard work, my hopes and anticipation were gone in vain.

I laid straight on the bed glaring at the ceiling with fiery eyes when I heard the door of the bedroom click.

Finally, my dear husband was home, but I didn't even bother to glance at him. I felt his gaze on me while he shuffled around the room and took off his blazer and slowly laid beside me, mirroring my position.

"It was my first day." He slowly muttered.

I had absolutely no idea.

"Hmm." I responded, still looking at the fan above.

He lifted himself up and supported his body with his elbow and continued. "For some reason, the whole day, I waited for you to call me, or at least a text. During a few meetings too, I kept looking at the phone. While everybody congratulated me, I glanced at the phone every next minute thinking that you might call but nothing." He shook his head at me in disappointment as if I was the guilty one. My temper flared. My eyes burned and I could practically feel smoke escaping my ears.