22• The teasing game

🔹️🔹️Adrien Russell🔹️️🔹️

There were two main reasons I decided to accompany Crystal to the dinner. One- it was obvious that she wanted me to come and I didn't want to disappoint her and two- I wouldn't let them be together for Evan to hit on her in my absence. Otherwise Evan Sanders wasn't a person I would look forward to seeing. 

I know I should get over it because Crystal is about to start working with him, but whenever I can limit their interactions with my presence, I will do it. 

Call me a possessive husband. 

When we reached their house, we were warmly welcomed by Ethan and Hannah. We congratulated them and gave them flowers that we picked on our way. We all sat together and talked for a while with the couple and Hannah's little sister, Megan. 

It was all going well until Evan joined us. As soon as he came inside, the smile on Crystal's face was so bright that I almost rolled my eyes at it. My annoyance had reached another level when he hugged her and literally picked her off her feet. Being the flirt he is, he had got flowers for not just Hannah but for Megan and Crystal too. 

Smartass!

We gave each other a stern nod as a greeting, which was more than enough. Soon, Hannah's cousin Racheal and two friends of Ethan joined us too and we began to mingle. We had a few drinks and shared some stories until someone suggested that we play some games.

And guess what we came down to. Chess. Evan vs I. 

Brilliant.

Few others played table tennis and some played beer pong while we began our game. Crystal hovered around us, interested in knowing who wins and I suddenly grew curious about whose side was she on. But I didn't ask her as it would make her uncomfortable. 

As we carried on with the game, Evan had started taking the lead. His smart move had blocked my paths and I didn't know what to do. 

I heard my ego cracking. 

I couldn't afford to lose against him. 

I was thinking hard when I heard a soulful laugh. My eyes narrowed at Crystal who was laughing heartily at something Rachael had said. It was the first time I had seen her so playful. A wave of happiness hit me while I looked at her but it was followed by a manly voice that I wasn't fond of. 

"Come on, buddy. You think you can make a move before the day ends?" Evan smirked slyly and I glared at him, controlling my fist from pounding on his jaw. 

Sighing I looked back at the chess board with a puzzled mind but looked back up when I heard someone clearing their throat. I looked at Crystal who was looking back at me. Her eyes sparkled with excitement and she looked around, as if trying not to be caught. She nudged her chin towards the chess pieces and I looked down to see what she meant. I touched the bishop and looked back at her but she shook her head and tilted her head a little towards the right. The knight. 

I glanced at her and she nodded with a small smile. I studied the positions of the pieces and the move was knocked into my head. 

Heck yeah! How did I not notice it? 

I made my move and Evan's smile flattered. Leaning back on the chair, I declared. "Check. Mate."