XVI

Ivy trailed her wide eyes from the phone to Spencer's face, who wore a just as shocked expression as her

Ivy trailed her wide eyes from the phone to Spencer's face, who wore a just as shocked expression as her. She couldn't believe it.

"Garcia, are you sure?" Spencer asked, still holding eye contact with Ivy.

"Unless there's another Finn Sukinov born November 18th, 2016 who looks exactly like Ivy, I'm pretty sure." She responded.

Ivy laughed, feeling tears burning behind her eyes, "Where are you?"

"In my bat cave, I called the second I was sure."

Ivy was going to answer but Spencer beat her to it, "We're on our way."

He hung up the phone and looked at Ivy, who had silent tears streaming down her cheeks, silently staring where the phone had just been, "Hey, are you okay?"

She sniffled and nodded, "I've never been better."
_______________________________
The two raced to Quantico, packing the blanket and driving in anxious silence for the entire ride. Even if Ivy wasn't in shock, she wasn't sure what to say. What could she say? After years of being filled with guilt and regret for giving him up, she finally had the chance to make peace with herself. To know she did the right thing for her son, no matter how much her heart burned.

When they reached the FBI building, Spencer was the first to unbuckle his seatbelt and open his door. Ivy on the other hand, was stone in her seat, unable to bring herself to move. Why not? She's been waiting for this moment for years, and now that it's finally here she gets cold feet? That's not fair to Finn. It's not fair to her either.

She shook of her paralysis and undid her seatbelt, getting out of the car and meeting Spencer around at the front. They locked eyes for a minute, and it still seemed neither of them had anything to say.

The two walked briskly to the front doors, heading straight for the elevators. Ivy pressed the button, and the wait for the elevator seemed to pass in slow motion. Finally, the doors opened and the two walked in, hitting the button for the sixth floor and watching the doors close in front of them.

Ivy couldn't bring herself to tear her gaze from the doors. Her thoughts were going at twice their normal speed. What she did bring herself to do, however, was move her right hand an inch over to grasp Spencer's hand. The warmth of his skin seemed to calm her down, bringing her back down to the present.

She felt a small squeeze on her hand, so she turned to her right to find Spencer already looking at her. He had a comforting smile on his face, which made the corners of Ivy's lips curl up as she let out a long breath.

He reached his free hand to cup her cheek, stroking away a stray tear with his thumb, "What are you thinking?"

A few things came to mind. What if it's not actually him? What if he's already adopted and I won't be able to see him? What kind of mother am I to have given him up in the first place?