In The Lab

Note: I really don't know anything about how labs and chemistry works other than the bare minimum so sorry if something is inaccurate!  Also this is heavily taken from a roleplay I did with @IDrinkPastaForALivin , go follow xem.   

Engineer worked happily in his lab.  He had bags under his eyes but didn't feel tired at all.  He gazed at the purple liquid that poured into a veil, hardening as it meets the other liquid.  

It worked, but Engineer wasn't satisfied yet.  He took half of the purple and poured it in a veil with a green tinge.  The purple and green didn't mix or change, the purple simply sat on top of the green.  This is what Engineer was looking for, and he clapped when he saw it.

Soon after, Gnome came in.  "Engie?  You were down here all night, what have you been doing?"

Engineer carefully began to put away his chemicals.  "Really?  Time flies!" He looked a bit like a mad scientist.

"Ya, you kept me up," Gnome said, rubbing their eyes.

"Oh, I'm sorry babe," Engineer said sincerely.  He finished putting stuff away, but was not done cleaning up at all.

"Oh, I can't stay mad at you!" Gnome says brightly, going over to him.  Engineer pushes her away.  "I would love to hug you, but I'm not sure it would be safe with all the chemicals I've been around."

Gnome makes an understanding sound and they both stand there.  "Continue!  I didn't mean to interrupt," Gnome said.

Engineer smiled.  "I know!  I'm so happy... yesterday I got a bunch of new supplies.  I've really only just started experimenting with them, and I just found out when I combine two of the most abundant chemicals I got, it's very reactive and slightly akaline!"

"Oh, uh-huh!  That's great sweetie," Gnome said, smiling sweetly.

Engineer nodded frantically.  "It's wonderful!  Do you want to join me?"

"I'd just get in the way," She laughed nervously.  "You're the expert.  And you know, I don't wanna... get hurt or ruin some of the new chemicals.  You know how I am."

"It'll be fine!  We can just do something simple- I'm sure you'll like it."

"Okay!" Gnome was excited despite their anxiety.  They liked science a lot, but was just awful at understanding it.

"Ya! And don't worry, there's a low chance that this will cause a fire!"

"Uh... alright!" Gnome giggled.  She reached to grab something on the table.

Engineer stopped her by putting his hand before the bottle.  "No, no!  You need to get ready before you do anything- wash your hands, wear goggles!"

"Oh ya!  I forgot." She went to the sink in the room as Engineer began getting ready again.

Gnome came back soon after, putting her curly hair in a long ponytail.  He handed them a lab coat and eye gear.  "I'm ready!"

His eyes widened.  "Oh, you look great like this babe!"

"Thank you Engie!  But don't I look great all the time?" Gnome said, half joking.

Engineer nodded.  "Of course!  Now look here- this is how it works." 

He explained it in vivid detail as he went through the steps, letting Gnome do safe and basic things.  Gnome paid attention but didn't understand all of it.  The stuff she did; however, seemed very interesting.  They were glad it gave Engineer such happiness.

At one point, Engineer stopped and looked at Gnome expectantly, wide smile on his face.  

"Uh- oh, are we done?" Gnome asked, and Engineer nodded.

"Yes! Don't you see the change in this bottle here?"

"I think so?" Gnome said, not sure if her brain was making up a difference to make up for the one she didn't see.

"That was magical!" Engineer said brightfully.

Gnome wasn't sure if she would call it magical, but she nodded.  "It sure is!"

"Do you want to do another one?"

"Ya alright!" Gnome said, still having a fun time.  "Definitely!"

The reaction was bit more precarious this time.  Engineer was a bit quieter to improve focus.

Gnome watched him and tried to apply the very minimal knowledge she remembered from high school and what Engineer had just told her what he was doing now.  It was quiet loud.

Gnome yawned and took of the glasses to rub her eyes, only then remembering the chemicals on her hands.  "Oh-"

Engineer had seen.  "Oh no, Gnome.  Do your eyes burn at all?"

"I don't think so."

"Good, good.  With the chemicals we've seen here, without burning it will be okay."

He pours something into another veil.  The liquid turns a bright green.  Gnome's eyes widen.

They leaned down a little and balanced their elbows on the table.  Her head tilted a little as she watched the liquid sizzle and move around in a pattern.  "It's beautiful..."

Engineer watched her.   Her eyes were dark and beautiful.  Her mouth was a slightly open. "You are even more beautiful."

"Thank you," Gnome said quietly, still transfixed.  After just a bit she stood up and hugged him tightly.

Engineer was red.  "Babe, there are still chemicals on us."

"It'll be fine!" Gnome continued to hug him for a few moments.

They broke up and both started to put all of the supplies today, Engineer being done for the day.  Gnome kept putting things in the wrong places, so they eventually stopped and let Engineer do it themselves.

"That was fun," Gnome said when he finished.

"I'm very glad you think so," Engineer said.  "Let's wash up."

They washed their hands and looked at each other.  Gnome was proud her boyfriend was so smart and such a good teacher.  Engineer was proud his girlfriend was so curious and interested in his hobbies.  He hugged onto her tightly.

Gnome ruffled his hair and giggled.  

Engineer giggled too.  "Let's