Chapter 27 ~ A dog hunting it's prey~

Start from the beginning

"Ok pens down and I'll come collect your booklets." I move my sleepy eyes upwards to see it's nearly time for the bell to ring. I close my booklet, shoving my pencil into my pencil case getting ready to go to next period.

Walking to the front of the school with Hazel and Bella I get my phone out and see I have a new message from my mum.

Mum: I'm so sorry this is short notice but you're staying at Cam's house tonight. Already got arrangements for Kat and I dropped a uniform off for tomorrow at his house xx

I roll my eyes, thanks for the heads up mum. I try to call her but get no answer, I wonder where she's going. I am about to shove my phone into my bag when someone drapes their arm over my shoulder, I know instantly who it is by the deodorant scent. I shove the message from my mum in his face and turn around to see him reading it before his face breaks into a grin.

"Yes! More fun times!" Cam whoops and I shake my head.

"You know you could just come and stay at my house in times like this." Hazel says raising her eyebrows with a smile at Cam who just grins.

"Nope besties for life!" He says pulling me into a hug making me crinkle my nose jokingly.

"Freak." Hazel mutters while I struggle out of his arms, I sneak a look at Bella who is watching us amused to my relief.

"No!" Cam cries pouting. "I just realised I have footy training."

"We could come?" Bella suggests and he claps nodding in agreement. I shake my head, he really is a freak, or high on something. Hazel, Bella and I follow Cam to his jeep and climb into the back. A few minutes later Ashley gets into the drivers seat and throws his bag into the back making Hazel squeal. He turns around in surprise and then raises and eyebrow questioningly at Cam who is grinning at his brother. Shaking his head he wordlessly backs out of the carpark and onto the road to drive to his house. We dance and sing along to the radio which to my disappointment isn't on very loud.

"You looked good on tv Layli." Ashley smiles into the review mirror and I meet his blue eyes.

"Thanks, shoes were bloody uncomfortable though." I complain.

"Oh my god but when you were totally out of it." Hazel laughs and I slap her arm.

"We promised never to bring that up again." I mutter.

"No that can never be forgotten, you were just standing there singing and grinning, you seriously looked high." Bella giggles and I groan looking out the window as we pull into the Thompson's driveway. When I got to school this morning that was one of the first things they brought up, after complimenting me on my looks. Getting out of the car the boys go to get changed into their training gear and I get some water from the fridge. Like I suspected their parents aren't home and my thoughts flit to last time, when the man grabbed me, who is currently teaching in my science classroom. The boys return downstairs dressed in their gear and I quickly shove some money, water, my phone and a small speaker into my now empty schoolbag. Yes I know who keeps a speaker in their bag? Me apparently. The drive to the oval is short and when we arrive the boys run over to each of their teams who are spread out over the big green oval warming up. Hazel, Bella and I walk down the slope from the carpark onto the soft grass while deciding what to do. Walking over to a patch of grass where no one is playing we sit on the grass trying to soak up the weak sun rays. I use my bag as a pillow and lie back facing the sky. Suddenly I feel a sharp pain on the back of my leg and I jump up smacking at it.

"OW!" I run away from my bag and slap the back of my leg. I look down to where we're sitting and see a few black ants crawling around on the grass. On the back of my leg theres a stinging red bite and it hurts like a bitch. Looking back at my friends they're both cracking up laughing but they've both stood up so they don't get bitten. I glare at them before sneaking a peak back at the guys. They're all running around doing different warm ups in their separate teams. I spot Cameron doing handballs with another guy passing the footy back and forth between them. Scanning over to the older guys team I look for Ashley and see him doing lunges, his tanned legs pulsing with muscles. Looking up he makes eye contact and grins before going back to listening to his coach talk. I blush, I can't believe he caught me watching him.