Chapter 9 ~Glare off~

Sighing as I sit down on one of the black McDonalds chairs I can feel the sweat slowly drying by the loud air conditioner situated on the roof next to our table. Turning around to face Tom I see him standing to the side of the counter waiting for our orders, sending a grin my way I can’t help but get butterflies in my stomach as I look at his beautiful face. The lady at the counter calls out a number and Tom’s eyes snap away from me as he collects our Mcflurry’s from her. Walking back over to the grey square table he sits in the seat across from me and places a flake Mcflurry in front of me.

“Thanks.” I grin taking a grateful mouthful of the vanilla soft serve. Seeing Tom take a spoonful of his M&M Mcflurry I can’t help but envy him as he eats my favourite flavour of Mcflurry. But I am extremely grateful that he payed for mine and the fact that he guessed a still delicious flavour, it’s not like I didn’t try to pay for my own but being the gentleman he is he wouldn't hear of it. Who knew there are still decent teenage boys in the world? 

“Layli?” 

“Hmm?” I say snapping back to reality.

“Did you hear what I said?” He asks amused. Looking down I guiltily stir the flake crumbs into the soft serve. Letting out a small chuckle I look up to see him smiling at me and my heart warms up at his gaze. His green eyes are twinkling and I subconsciously find myself smiling back at him as I realise I’m the reason for that gaze.

“So umm.” He clears his throat and looks away, almost shyly. “We’ve kinda established there is something between us.” He says quietly so the people at the other tables can’t overhear us. My heart flutters yet again at his words and I desperately want to know where this conversation is going. Placing my elbows on the table I lean closer to him.

“Yes.” I say, “But what we want to do about this is the question.” 

“Yea.” He runs his fingers through his light brown hair causing it come out of it’s place that’s usually swept over to the left side of his head. “Well I know the feelings are there and I definitely feel the jealousy flowing through me when another guy so much looks at you and I want to be with you.” He says hesitantly and my face falls.

“But?” I ask and I swear I can hear my heart beating out of my chest. 

“I do want to be with you… But I just don’t think I’m ready for another committed relationship just yet. I just came out of a relationship with Chelsea and as much as I know she’s a horrible person, there’s still a part of me that still has feelings for her.” He explains and my heart sinks. Chelsea. Of corse, that little bitch always has to find a way of ruining everything. Nodding I take a mouthful of my Mcflurry so I don’t have to reply. 

“But if it’s ok with you I was thinking we could take things slowly.” I nod again waiting for him to elaborate. “Well umm I was thinking that maybe we could like, be more than friends but not boyfriend and girlfriend.” My eyes widen and I stare at him, is he insinuating we can be just be friends with benefits? “Layli, god no. I know what you’re thinking not that.” Groaning he rubs his face. “What I mean is we can go out on dates and stuff but not officially be together. Does that make sense?” Nodding again I process it through my head. So we will act like a couple but not officially be one? Yea I nod again to myself that makes sense but there’s still one thing that’s bothering me.

“Tom?”

“Yea?” His bright green eyes look at me hopefully.

“Would this mean that we can see other people? Seeings as we’re not officially together?”

“Only if you want to.” He shrugs.

“No, I don’t.” I blurt out. Making eye contact with me he smirks.