juu

1 Unread Message

Akechi: you free right before school starts back up?

Creaky wooden stairs laid before me and I wondered just what Akechi had in mind. All I knew was this was a jazz club. It was on a darker alley in Kichijoji and most of the other shops looked closed this late in the evening.

I looked up at the sign above its entrance and mumbled, "Jazz Jin, huh?"

Letting out a sigh, there's nothing left to do but go down. He's already here. What's there to loose anyways?

I made it down the old steps and find a mostly empty room. Very few people were there, maybe a few couples at most. The only ones close in age to me were this couple, a boy and a girl. Both with brown hair, but the girl had very curly hair and glasses. 

I watched their conversation, as the girl cried out, "I have decided that I'm gonna teach my kids to gamble and there's nothing you can do about it!"

The boy sighed deeply before taking another sip of his drink.

Giggling at their antics, I turned in the opposite directions and see Akechi standing from his chair to greet me.

"Hey," Akechi called out with a wave. "Glad you could make it!"

"Wouldn't miss it," I said with a smile.

He pulls out my chair and I took a seat, giving him a small thank you.

"I hope it's okay I already ordered drinks," Akechi rushed out. "I tend to try something new each time I come. . ."

"Oh! That's not a problem, I'm not picky."

A man comes over not long after, two identical drinks in hand. "Akechi-san! It's been a while since you were in here with someone. I see it's a lady this time." The man winks in my direction. "You two have fun"

"So you come here often with. . . guys?" I let out a chuckle before taking a sip of my drink. "I didn't know you were into guys, Akechi."

In the dark lighting, I was able to hint a slight redness to his cheeks. "No, no. You have the wrong idea! I brought Akira here almost a month ago after a round of billiards because he finally beat me. It was a bet, and this place has good drinks."

"Is that rambling I'm hearing? Is there something you need to tell me, Akechi?"

I watch as he deflated in his chair accompanied by the largest sigh. "I'm not going to live this one down, am I?

"Nope." Another sip of my drink is had.

The lights dim slightly and a lamp overhead a stage turns on. A small woman, hair up in a beehive style, walks up to the microphone.

Akechi leans over, close to my ear, and whispers, "We chose the right night to do this. A singer isn't always present."

I smile back, and turn my focus back to the singer as she begins.

"People come and then go. . . some people stay with you though."

Her voice is beautiful; it's not a tone I've heard anywhere else. Such range as well, I can tell why Akechi likes this place. The atmosphere really makes it and the signer is the icing on the cake.

"Who knows what tomorrow holds. . . just wanna live my life the way I want. . . What fills up my soul is passionate. . . music that makes me want to sing."

I grab Akechi's hand to catch his attention and use my other to create a thumbs up. He smiles gently back at me as the song enters a musical interlude, before going back to repeat the song once more.