Chapter 6: A New Life

Start from the beginning

================================

I think me and the boy would be great partners.

I think we had the same thought process. I was about to run out the window when one of Besley(was it?)'s servants came knocking at the door, but when I heard that the king wants to see me, I started thinking too. I saw the way the boy looks out the window and then at the door quite a few times before deciding on the door.

I don't know how close are my thoughts to his, but all I know is, if someone as high as the king wants to see me, that means it must be for a good reason. Maybe if I escape, the kingdom will hunt for me for the rest of my life or something. I don't wanna live a life on the run or in hiding. So I think I better meet this king too. Loosely saying 'meet' here, because I still don't want to show anyone my secret intelligence yet. So I'll act like a pet in front of him.

I had to do a feint and try to snap randomly at the rasher but I got a bit bored and used my wings to grab it.

Heheh. Get good, loser.

Not long later, we arrive in a room that looks like a meeting room with one big curved-corner square table with chairs around it. One which is the most comfy-looking has someone that looks wise and high in royalty. I'm guessing that's the king. Another person was next to him with brown hair and hints of Besley's face figures. I guess that's his dad.

================================

I and father had one of the most intense staring contests, in which daddy ended, "Besley, I had no idea that you are not how you act, and as a father, I'm disappointed both at myself for not knowing and you for not showing me your true side. But that's a problem for later. We've got a more urgent issue now."

The king stood up, "Besley, son of Gracius, Lord of Univ, I have concrete proof that you have managed to control and will try to prevent that dragon from being hunted. It is a child of those who killed my daughters. That's why I ordered the knight of this humble town to exterminate the creature, and I'm sure your father also has a reason for obeying well.

But, after seeing the creature showing its youth and showing its loyalty to you, I have a proposition for that dragon." I looked to where he pointed to see the dragon playing with the fire atop a candle.

"With your father's permission, that is, you can keep the dragon as a pet. With one condition. If we could take it to our laboratories for some research for a week before you could keep it. You might not know, but no one in the world has ever seen a dragon which is purple. Nor any dragon that has two colours like this one. We've only seen arch dragons actually reveal to us that there are only 7 colours for a dragon. Red, green, blue, and yellow are the most common, white and black are rare, and silver is only exclusive to arch dragons. And dragons have only one colour each. It is a big revelation to find a lesser dragon which is not only coloured purple but is also silver on some parts. What do you say?"

Hmmm... But won't the dragon go insane or something? It only has a connection to me so far, and it might not be cooperative with the royal scientists. And also... I want him here...

"I have a different proposition, your majesty," I said after thinking for a few seconds. The king raised his right eyebrow. "I think that if you bring the dragon to the laboratories, I won't cooperate. It's still a wild animal and the only connection it has is me. It might go wild with many others. So why don't you get the royal scientists to come here once in a while to take samples or research in here while I'm close so that it's reassured of its safety?"

My father is staring at me with his eyeballs popping out, appalled by how I changed a king's request. But, to his surprise, the king took that well.

"Ahhh, it's a win-win-win situation, isn't it? I get my research information, you get your pet to stay with you, and the dragon would still feel safe and at home while the research is going. It might be more time-consuming and expensive for me because of the travel costs, but I don't want my scientists to be unhappy with their job, which is bound to happen if they're supposed to research an angry dragon. So it's the optimum solution for all of us, is it not, Gracius?" The king turned towards father.

He just nodded quickly, just obliging towards the king.

The king sighed. "Gracius, your child is the perfect example of how I want my next generation of nobles to be. Our kingdom barely has many nobles that aren't corrupt. Besley is naughty, I presume, but it's not because of greed or arrogance, it's because of curiosity, freedom, and an adventurous desire. The bravery of speaking straight to a king without thinking of the consequences. And if he gets good results from his teachings, with that kind of quick thinking mind and negotiation skills at that age, a generation like him could progress our kingdom by leaps and bounds."

I blushed and so did my father, but my face was redder.

"So I assume that Gracius here has allowed the dragon to be your pet. What's its name?"

Uhhh. Draco? Nope, too common. Rex? Nope, too simple and short. Uhhh.. uhhh... Carolyn??? Where'd that come from?

"What would you think about 'Troy'?" The king suggested.

Troy... Troy... It's better than Draco or Rex. Troy... It sounds simple but not at the same time. I like it.

"I'd happily name him that, your majesty."

=~=~=~=~=~10 mins later=~=~=~=~=~

Not gonna lie, Troy is better than my old name, Barry. Now that I think about it, why did my parents name me that? Well, like I said, let bygones be bygones.

I got a food and water bowl in Besley's room. Time for a new chapter and stage in my life. I'll have to endure being a pet...