28: You Need Help

Present

Jesy stares at her as they sat in the driveway of their home. All this time, she thought he was hunted down by other gangsters and got killed; at least that's what Jade told her. Now, it all makes sense.

She was a normal, though over-developed child. She liked to play with her cousins and watch cartoons like any other kid. She didn't ask for this; she was only 3 years old.

She shouldn't even understand the concept of death, let alone kill on command with no remorse. She was simply brainwashed.

The voices Jade's been hearing started as nightmares, then turned into day-mares. The four prominent voices she hears are her brother, her father, Dexter, and Mr. Marlon.

Then there's her mother; the soft voice of reason that only comes out when she's to the point where she's scratching her ears raw.

The months following, she went quiet for a while and stopped going to school.

The guilt she felt was immense; if she didn't show them where he lived, both men would still be alive. She and Michael Welch lost their dads that day.

Jesy knew Mr. Marlon since he was there the year before, when she was in daycare. He was really nice to the kids, especially the ones that lived in the council estate.

He grew up in the same building as the family, so he had a soft spot for the Nelson-Thirlwall kids. They were fatherless; Jade may have had hers in her life, but he only paid attention to her when he witnessed her accidentally killing a man.

That night, she cried more over Mr. Marlon's death than George's. She loved her father naturally, but her teacher acted like a dad; one that made time.

When he picked her up that day, she was just happy to see him after his month-long absence. It's safe to say she misses her teacher more.

Messed up, but it is what it is.

"I chose another man's life over me own dad's," she says softly.

"You were practically a baby, Jade. You did what your dad told you to do. The only time you turned on him was when you were right."

"I know, but... I dunno," she sighs defeatedly and puts her head on the window.

Jesy couldn't imagine what her cousin went through. Jade was broken to say the least.

"Jes?"

"Yeah?" The younger girl looks at her with watery eyes, but a clear voice. "I'm goin' back to the hospital... aren't I?" Jesy looks at her sadly, honestly not knowing. Her mentality has been all over the place, but if there's one thing Jesy promised is to not let her go through that again.

That promise was made when she was 13, but she still stands by it.

"Not if I can help it, Poopey. We're gonna get through this, okay?" She just blinks, allowing a stray tear to fall. "What if you can't? What if I spiral outta control and hurt one of yous? I carved my name in Leigh's back, fa fook's sake!" She suddenly rages with a sob.

She covers her face and starts crying like a small child.

"I don't wanna be this way! I'm scared, Jes. I'm so scaaared," she sobs harder. The older girl pulls her in for an awkwardly angled embrace, shushing her softly. "I know you are, Jadey. I know. Soon, you'll be on better medication, that you're gonna take religiously, understood?"

The girl nods, sniffling as she clutches onto her.

"We'll see Dr. Graham once a week for your evaluations and then before you know it, you're back in Dr. Porter's office. How does that sound?" Jade breaks from her and wipes her eyes. "Sounds good," she croaks before going in the glove compartment for a tissue.