Chapter 50: Soulmates

*Justin's POV*

I wasn't sure how long they left me alone before Monica cracked open the door and popped her head into the room again. "Can I come in?"

"Yeah," I sighed, giving up on hiding my tears from them. They were my best friends, and truth be told, they were now the only ones I had left in my life. They had always been the only family I had up here, and this isn't the first time they'd seen me emotional. Though this was the worst time of my life, I did appreciate them being here with me.

She shuffled into the room and gently shut the door behind her. She crossed the room and sat down on the bed. Her curly, ebony hair was tied back in a thick ponytail, her face looking completely exhausted. Monica placed her hand on top of mine and squeezed it. "How you doing?"

"How do you think?" I scoffed.

Sighing, Monica looked away from me and towards my closet. I knew she was only trying to help, and I felt like an asshole for being rude to her.

"I'm sorry, Mo," I said, squeezing her hand back. "I just am so fucking lost right now without her."

"I know, Justin. I can't imagine what you're going through, but I know she'll be back. You just have to be patient. They'll find her and bring her home to you."

I bit down on my trembling lower lip, trying my hardest not to burst into another round of tears. I needed to change the subject before I broke down again. "I'm so sorry that this is how you're spending the first days of your daughter's life. You guys didn't deserve this."

"You didn't deserve any of this either. We're all in the same boat, just in different positions," she smiled sadly at me. She always knew what to say, and I couldn't have asked for a better sister figure in my life. "Tell me about why you love her, Justin."

"What?"

"Tell me why she's worth fighting for. I've never seen you this passionate about anyone or anything, and I'm curious to hear what goes on in that crazy head of yours. Plus, you need motivation to keep fighting for her, and voicing it out loud will help."

I swallowed against the lump in my throat, thinking of the best place to start to describe why I fell in love with Maria. "I really didn't go into any of this with the intention of falling in love and kidnapping her. Honestly, I only wanted to protect her from Adam once she passed his stupid test. I knew he wouldn't be done that easily with her, and I felt it was my duty to protect her when I failed so miserably before with her and her friends."

"I don't think that bothers her or us at this point anymore, so stop putting a pretext to every feeling and action. What made you fall in love with her?"

"Her soul is beautiful. She cares so much for others when she doesn't have to or even when she shouldn't. She cares deeply for those close to her and always shows them kindness, even when they don't deserve it. Maria's heart is made of gold, and she doesn't even realize how amazing she is. She's insanely smart, and her hugs are the best I've ever had."

Monica smiled at me and encouraged me to keep going.

"You're probably going to think this next part is dumb."

"Maybe," she teased, "but it's not likely. Keep going. What else about her draws you to her?"

I shuffled to reposition myself on the bed. Monica helped me adjust the pillows behind me so I could be propped up in a better sitting position. I thanked her and then paused deep in thought. She waited patiently for me to continue.