Chapter 21: An Unexpected Visitor

*Maria's POV*

"What are you thinking about?"

Justin's sudden appearance next to the couch and his question caught me off guard, causing me to stumble in my response and almost drop my book. "Oh, uh, n-nothing. Why? Aren't you still working?"

"I finished work early today," he said, pulling my legs up so he could sit on the couch under them. This intimate position was one I was slowly getting used to, but one that still sent my stomach fluttering. "If it's nothing, then why is your face so red?"

I pulled the book up to cover my face, pretending to get back to reading the story. "Go away."

His laugh made the swirls in my stomach intensify. This was bad. This was very, very bad. I couldn't be falling for him. I couldn't, I shouldn't, but here I was finding myself craving his touch and wanting to see his smile. I had to do something to stop these emotions from building, but I was at a loss of what to do next. At this rate, if I wasn't careful I would find myself trapped here with this psycho for the rest of my life.

"Do you want to go for a walk in the woods outside?"

I froze, not sure I heard him correctly. I pulled the book away from my face and closed it. "Really? You're okay with me leaving the house today?"

"I mean, don't make it sound like I'm that horrible," he rolled his eyes and poked my leg. "It's not like I'm going to lock you away in here forever and ever and never let you out. But, yeah, I had hoped we could go for a walk together."

"Well, yeah, I figured you weren't going to let me go out by myself. I'd like to go for a walk though, even if it is with you," I rolled my eyes and smiled at him. Maybe last night's make out session wasn't such a bad thing after all.

Justin pulled me off the couch and led me to the kitchen backdoor. It was the first time I had stepped onto the back porch, and I was surprised to find a swinging bench to my right. I wouldn't mind sitting out here with some hot chocolate rocking and listening to the quiet out here, I thought to myself.

We walked hand in hand across the backyard towards a small trail behind the house. I was thankful that I chose to wear blue jeans and a thick, black sweater. There wasn't a lot of wind, but the small wisps that occasionally swirled around us sent chills through me. Most of the leaves had fallen by this point, but there were still some clinging to the branches above us.

"It's beautiful out here," I told him, breaking the silence that had settled between us.
"Yeah, it is. You should see it in the spring when all the small wildflowers pop up."

I paused before answering. "I wouldn't mind seeing it then."

Justin raised an eyebrow at me but didn't press the conversation. Our walk was quite relaxing as I listened to Justin explain the different types of trees, where he found morel mushrooms the past two years, and the various animals he had seen out here on his walks.

We returned home as the sun was setting, and Justin made us each a cup of hot tea. I brought the cups into the office while he built a small fire in the fireplace. We nestled next to each other on the plush dark green sofa, watching the flames dance and sipping on our cups of tea.

"Maria?"

"Hmm?"

"I have something I need to tell you."

I turned to face him and realized there was worry etched into his features. I had thought today was actually quite pleasant, so I wasn't sure what could make him worry. "What's wrong?"

"My–"

The front door open and slammed shut, interrupting whatever it was Justin was going to tell me. I looked at him in surprise, not expecting someone was going to show up here at the house.

"Justin, cá bhfuil tú?" (Justin, where are you?) A woman's voice called out. Her heels clacked as she made her way down the front hall towards us.

"My mom," he smiled at my stunned expression. "Hey mam, Tá mé san oifig." (Hey mom I'm in the office.)

My head spun back and forth as I looked from him to a small woman standing in the kitchen doorframe. Justin set his cup on the floor and walked over to embrace his mother. He towered at least a foot above her as he leaned in to hug her. He placed a quick kiss on her cheek, then turned and gestured to me.

"Maria, this is my mom, Kathy."

I pulled myself out of my surprised state and rose to greet her. My eyes flickered back and forth between Justin and his mother, noting the similarities between them. I'm sure Justin recognized my surprise at the thought of introducing his captive to his mother. "Hi," I quietly greeted her, holding out my hand for her to shake.

She pushed my hand away and pulled me into a tight embrace. The woman was only about two inches shorter than me, but she had the strength of ten of me. "Ah! Mar sin caithfidh gurb í seo m'iníon-dlí sa todhchaí!" (Ah! So this must be my future daughter-in-law.)

I raised an eyebrow in question at Justin. I didn't want to be rude, but I was getting tired of not knowing what they were saying.

Justin gave me an apologetic smile before answering his mother. "Tá súil agam mar sin ach tá sí leisciúil faoi sin. Níl sí ngrá liom." (I hope so but she is hesitant about that. She isn't in love with me.)

Kathy finally released me from her bearhug and patted my cheeks. "It's so nice to meet you, sweetheart. I've heard much about you!" she said to me. I noted a faint Irish accent and realized she must have been the person Justin was on the phone with when I tackled him on Monday and called for help.

Although I had been proud of my efforts that day, a bit of embarrassment crept into my flushed cheeks. She turned her attention back to Justin and addressed him in Gaelic once again. "Tabhair am dó a mhac. Beidh sí ag titim I ngrá leat luath go leor. Is féidir liom a fheiceáil cén fáth a bhfuil do radharcanna socraithe uirthi. Is áilleacht í go leor!" (Give it time son. She will fall in love with you soon enough. I can see why you have your sights set on her. She is quite a beauty!)

She patted my cheeks then pulled my hand, leading me into the kitchen. "Come now, let's get dinner going, so we can chat and get to know each other a bit better."

I glanced over my shoulder at Justin as we walked by him and into the kitchen. I saw him shrug his shoulders and hold up his hands in defeat. He mouthed "sorry" before following us into the kitchen where his mother had already begun pulling out pots and pans.

Kathy made us sit next to each other at the kitchen island as she began preparing dinner. She waved away our offers to help her and instead began firing questions at me. She wanted to know about my upbringing, my education, where I'd worked, and if I'd ever traveled outside of Wisconsin. Eventually the subject changed to books, and I found we read a lot of similar authors.

Speaking with Justin's mother was far easier than speaking with Justin at times. Her bubbly personality made me want to open up and answer every question she threw at me. When dinner was ready, she sent Justin to set the table in the dinning room. She pulled me by my elbow and whispered in my ear, "Don't worry, sweetheart. I know what's really going on. Believe it or not, you really are much safer here with Justin for the time being. I promise he'll release you once this issue is resolved."

Just as quickly as she started, she switched back as if she hadn't said anything at all. I stood stunned in my place as she began carrying the various dishes into the dining room. Grabbing the last two bowls, she smiled at me and tilted her head. "Come, dear. The food'll get cold if you just stand there all evening."

--------------------

A/N: Sorry for the shorter chapter. Are you ready for another chapter from Justin's POV? Or do you prefer only hearing from Maria? Please remember to vote and comment! Thanks for reading!