Chapter 36: A Change in Plans (Part 1)

*Justin's POV*

Visiting Greg, Monica, and their daughter at the hospital went far better than I could have ever expected. I knew they would love Maria, but I anticipated a lot more arguing and fighting from Greg when we arrived. That was likely still to come, but at least for now everyone got along just fine.

Maria even held Amaya for a bit, making her ten times more gorgeous than I'd ever seen her before. Her eyes lit up as she cooed over the tiny infant in her arms. Greg slapped my arm as he walked past me out into the hallway, inviting me in a not-so-subtle way to join him. Monica and Maria seemed in a comfortable enough conversation and probably wouldn't notice our absence, so I quickly followed him out the door.

I softly shut the door behind me as I followed Greg out into the hall. He leaned against the wall, crossing his arms and shaking his head. I stuffed my hands in my pockets and waited for him to start whatever conversation he had planned.

"You are one lucky bastard," he whispered, ensuring no one in the neighboring rooms heard our conversation. I raised an eyebrow in question, not sure what he was referring to. "Maria, you dumbass. That woman somehow likes your crazy ass and is willing to hang around with you after all you've done."

I chuckled. "Yeah, I got real lucky, man. I knew she was amazing, but she's better than I ever imagined. I just wish it was going to be long term. Like you and Monica."

Greg shook his head. "I don't know. I've been wrong on every assumption I've made with your whole whirlwind nightmare so far. Typically, I would say that's never going to happen, and that you'd be lucky just to avoid serious jail time and a felony for all you've done. But who knows? Maybe I'll be wrong again, and she'll actually agree to your dad's demands happily. Shit, at this rate we'll be right back here in a year with your own kid."

"Nah," I shook my head. "You're right on this one. We've already discussed a plan on how to help her escape from my family after Adam is gone. I mean, she's not a fan of it, but it's still a plan, and she still wants to go. I can't keep her trapped any longer than necessary."

Greg took in a deep breath and exhaled, keeping his eyes on the door across the hall. "When is this getting wrapped up? I need to know if it's safe to bring my wife and daughter home."

I glanced over my shoulder to make sure the door to Monica's room was still closed. "My brothers came in last night. We've got a lead on him and are closing in. It should only be another couple days before this mess is cleaned up."

He nodded his head and let out a sigh of relief. "Good. That's good. And that's when you're letting her go?"

"Yup. As much as it's going to kill me to watch her leave," I paused, taking a breath to steady myself. "I need to let her go. I love her too much to watch her fall into a depression just because I'm selfish and want to keep her."

"Good. That's probably for the best." Greg glanced down the hall then back to me. "You know, I don't want to give you any kind of hope, because I don't think she should stay with your crazy ass after all you've done."

"You're a true friend, man."

"I am, and that's why I'm being completely honest with you. I don't think you deserve her. That being said... She clearly cares about you in some kind of way. Like I said, I don't wanna give you any false hopes, but you know what they say. If you love something, set it free. If it's meant to come back to you, it will. She told me she stole your truck yesterday but returned on her own free will. If she is, in fact, telling the truth about not being forced back, then I'd say your chances of her staying after all this is done has risen up to about fifty percent. Which is a hell of a lot higher than the zero percent chance I originally thought when you told me about her two days ago."

A Duet of the Soulजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें