Chapter 9: Definitions of Safety

*Mature Content*

*Maria's POV*

To say I was shocked would be an understatement. Inches away from my face hovered the face of a man I never thought I'd see again. His mop of auburn hair fell across his forehead messily as his green eyes pleaded with me, silently hoping I wouldn't scream.

"Justin?" I asked incredulously, my voice barely audible.

Now that we were face to face, Justin acted as if he didn't know what to say. He slowly nodded his head in acknowledgement of my question. I watched as his slightly visible Adams apple bobbed as he gulped in a short breath of air. My heart rate increased as I thought back to our lunch date the day before. The pieces started clicking faster and faster as we gazed into each other's eyes.

"Oh God, oh my God... You said you have been stalking me for a month, but we only just met in person yesterday for lunch. Have you been following me every time I leave my apartment? Do you have cameras stashed around to know what I'm doing?"

Blush crept across his freckled cheeks as he tore his gaze from mine, settling his eyes on my pink lips. "I don't usually follow you when you leave your apartment. I do have a job I need to maintain, you know."

"No, I don't know," I spat back at him. Anger coursed through my veins as all the desires I had for him yesterday evaporated. "Unlike you, I don't have a clue about you, your life, or what you do in your spare time. Other than stalking victims that you almost murdered."

"Maria, please calm down."

"Don't tell me to calm down. You don't get to tell me to do anything. Don't think I didn't notice how you never answered me about the cameras. So, what? You snuck into my apartment while I was at a therapy session and placed cameras around my apartment?"

The rest of Justin's face began turning crimson to match his flushed cheeks. His eyelids lowered as he kept his gaze diverted from mine. My stomach flipped in disgust as I realized I had hit the nail on the head. He opened his mouth to defend himself, but I cut him off before he began.

"I don't want to hear your bull shit reasons. Oh my God, you've seen me naked haven't you? Ugh!" I turned my head and squeezed my eyes shut. This couldn't be happening. I felt his erection twitch against my stomach at my question, and I knew I had my answer.

"Maria, I had to make sure you were safe."

Fury rose up from my stomach. I returned my gaze to meet his as I unleashed my anger on him. "You're a liar! You weren't doing this for my safety. You're a twisted psycho who enjoys getting off on kidnapping and torturing innocent women. You know what's safe, Justin? Not having a psycho stalk me."

I could see the hurt in his eyes but he refused to respond. We were in a silent stare off when a thought dawned on me. My eyes widened as I realized he may have been watching me on his cameras the night before we met for lunch.

Justin was trying to explain himself again, but I quickly cut him off. "How often do you watch the cameras?"

He blinked twice before opening his mouth. "Uhhh... I don't know. Fairly often."

"How many cameras are there? And where are they located?"

He began to gently stroke my wrists with his thumbs. The sensation from his touch coursed through my body. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep my body from reacting. "There was one in your bedroom up on your bookshelf. Then I had one up on the top of a kitchen cabinet that viewed both the kitchen and living room."