Only if they knew

Vaidehi's pov

I wish I had listened to Meera..when she told me not go Dhera that day. I don't even know which part of city this hospital is situated in.

After having the dinner I took the medicine and tried to sleep but my mind wondered back to the memories of that day..when I was stuck in a room of a burning building. I was suffocating but somehow I managed to open the door and after that I didn't remember anything apart from opening my eyes in this hospital.

I was missing home..

Emmanuel's pov

In the morning I received a call from my senior doctor Rajan Bisht, that he is sending two doctor and 1 nurse by this Friday. One of the doctor was none other then my annoying younger brother, Karthik.

"Where is nurse Neelam?" I asked the receptionist.

"She wouldn't be here tonight sir...her schedule is changed, she will be here in the morning..."

"Then who's working at night.."

"Ummmm Reema ma'am—

"—Who allowed you to stay here more than 4 days!?" Suddenly our conversation were cut off, i immediately followed the voice.

"You will be leaving in a hr get ready!"

"Nurse Reema...how dare you talk her like that?! She's my patient. And I asked her to stay here!" I entered the room. Vaidehi looked at me, while her face was slightly red and tears were streaming down her cheeks.

"But sir...aren't we getting Covid cases..and—-

"Yes! But that doesn't mean you'll talk to a patient like that!" I was angry and I was sure everyone around me could feel it too. "Understood?!"

"Y-yes doctor.."

"Okay, you are free to go...but first apologize to Miss Rana, now!"

"I am sorry, Miss Rana for my behaviour!" Reema said hesitantly.

"It's alright."

"Are you okay?" I asked approaching her.

"Yes." She tried to smile.

"But your tears are saying a different story Miss Rana."

"Oh it's nothing..I am just missing home."

I sliently watched her for a minute. Her long luscious black hair fell over her shoulders as leaned on her side whilst she tried to reach for water.

"Why do you have to be covered?" She asked innocently implying on the PPE that I was wearing.

"Well...let just say it's for my safety and others too...since I am also working in Covid ward." I replied.

"Is it really that serious...the situation?" She asked emphasizing on the pandemic.

"It is..extremely serious...we haven't seen anything like this before...not here...not in other parts of the world..until recently...when the cases started coming...honestly saying, India, is not ready for situations like this.." I said thinking about how many people we have lost in the last few weeks of March and starting week of April alone.

"Why I am not allowed to wear mask like you and others?"

"Because your breathing aren't normal due the smoke that entered in your lungs when you were stuck in a burning building, Miss Rana. And I think I had told you this before!" A raised a brow glancing at her.

"Right....please don't mind me...I am just to bored staying in a same room everyday!" She looked at her hands. her small cute looking hands. I wish I could hold them.

'What's wrong with me?!'  I thought realizing the effect this girl has on me since she came in here.

"Can I ask you something if you don't mind?" She said nervously.

"Sure."

"How long this lockdown gonna last?"

"I am not sure..." I replied.

"Okay....thanks Doctor."

Vaidehi's pov

3 days later..

My sleep was disturbed with rumbling noises coming outside of room, I rubbed my eyes as I woke up.

"Miss Rana, we readied  your discharge papers you are good to go."

"Oh thanks...is Doctor.." suddenly I forgot what was his first name..

"Is Dr. Em—

"No, but with our senior dr's permission everything is ready." Even though I should be happy but somehow I felt very uneasy.

"Okay...can I get my bag and cloths please?"

"Sure,"

I got ready in my clothes; which I had worn on the day I was brought in here. I combed my long hair in a ponytail and placed my bag on my shoulder.
After signing some papers, I called my cousin as I walked outside the hospital.

After coming a few blocks far from the hostpital I realized that the streets were empty.

"Meera..no one is here in streets..I can't even see a bus or an auto."

"Why did you come out of hostpital?! We are still in a lockdown...the government extended the lockdown from 21 days to  another 3 weeks!" I felt my heart sink in fear.

"What!"

"Yes...where are you?" She asked in worry.

"Few blocks from government hospital." I replied looking around me.

"Well..this sounds weird...but go back there and ask them to help you to drop you home."

"That is weird!"

"You don't have a choice.." she replied.

"I'll walk..after all I am a pahadi!"

"Yes...sure...but you just got discharged from hospital...and you know what your doctor told you...is to rest. Not work yourself out by walking more than 30 km?!!!"

"Yeah you're right." I said in defeat.

.....