Twenty

After helping Nagito clean the café, Makoto drove me home. On the days he'd drive me home, he'd always leave a few minutes early, claiming he was going to start his car, but I knew he was giving Nagito and I some time alone. I never minded it, because whenever it was just the two of us, it felt as if Nagito finally relaxed.

I loved it when Nagito felt relaxed around me. It made me happy to know he felt comfortable around me. I felt the same way around him. Although, it made me sad to know that he felt tense around the others. They were supposed to be his friends. Though he was only really close with me, Sonia, and Gundham, so I shouldn't have been too surprised. Regardless, he felt relaxed around me, and that made me happy.

"I'll see you tomorrow," Nagito said as he walked towards his car, waving to Makoto.

As I slid into the passenger seat, Makoto sang, "He likes you."

"I'm not getting into this again," I gritted.

"I know, I know. Unless he confesses to you first, you're not going to make your move. But you have to admit, he sort of made a move on you today with that crumb licking he did."

Feeling my cheeks blare, I pouted and stared out the window. "You better not tell anyone."

"I won't tell anyone. I can't say the same about Kazuichi," he chuckled, and I groaned loudly. "Relax. We all found it adorable. He was so jealous of Kyoko."

"When there's nothing to be jealous over considering we all know she likes you."

Makoto blushed and giggled softly. "You think so?"

"It's been obvious to everyone ever since the two of you met that you two would eventually marry each other."

"H-Hajime, please, we haven't even gone on a formal date, yet," he stuttered.

"And after you two do, we all know she's going to propose."

"Don't make me more nervous than I already am," he sighed. "I'm already worried over what she's going to say about me being an Ultimate in private."

"She knows why you joined the club, so I don't think you have to be worried."

"Yes, I do. She thinks she knows why I joined the club, but she doesn't actually know."

"Yeah, she does," I scoffed. "Not only because she's an amazing detective, but because it's very obvious to everyone that the only reason you would actually want to be an Ultimate is to learn how to rub shoulders with the rich so you won't make a fool out of yourself or Kyoko whenever she has to attend formal parties for her job. It's obvious to everyone that you did it for her. That's why she wanted to see you in action today and see what you've learned so far."

"I really hope she knows that's why," he exhaled.

Pulling into his driveway, we spotted Kyoko and Chiaki sitting on their front steps, talking with Aoi and Sakura. Ibuki would either see her after her concert tonight or at the party tomorrow.

We both walked up to the group, and Aoi held in her giggles. "Kyoko told us about what happened today."

"What part?" I asked, glaring at them.

"Only that we went to see you at your Ultimate Club. Nothing more," Kyoko promised, holding her hand up. "It was a lot of fun to see you two at work. You've both learned a lot about etiquettes, I noticed."

"We had to in order to fit in," Makoto explained.

"It's hard, but it seems like my clients don't mind me not being quite at their level. It makes me less threatening."