Seventeen

After complimenting Nagito, dinner thankfully went by smoothly. The conversations didn't seem as pointed at me, and I felt as if I could breathe. Though the three of them discussed topics I wasn't completely familiar with, it never felt as if I was excluded from the conversation.

Just like in the Ultimate Club, any time I felt nervous, I glanced at Nagito. Even if he didn't glance back at me and smile, I instantly felt better. Just knowing he was sitting next to me, helping me make it through the evening helped calm me down.

At one point, in the middle of a sentence, he reached over and placed his hand on my thigh. I'd admit that it made me very nervous. He didn't move his hand; he didn't rub my thigh or pinch it or anything. He merely placed a comforting hand on my thigh in moral support. It was honestly very sweet of him, regardless of how embarrassed I was.

When dinner ended, Sonia paid like she said she would. We all walked out to the cars. Before anyone could say anything, Nagito wrapped his arm around my shoulders and glared at Sonia. "I will take Hajime home."

Sonia giggled, covering her mouth. "Of course. I understand."

I grabbed my bag from the backseat of Gundham's car and walked to the passenger side of Nagito's car. "Thank you again for dinner, Sonia."

"Thank you for joining us, Hajime," she waved.

Once we were out of the restaurant's parking lot, Nagito exhaled loudly and grabbed my hand in my lap. "I'm really sorry if things got a little too... weird tonight."

"It's okay," I assured him, interlocking our fingers. "I'm glad I got to spend time with them. It's good to get to know more of the Ultimates better."

"I'm sure she was worried about how much time we'd been spending together," he said. "She really is an overprotective sister to me."

"I hope I managed ease her subconscious then."

Nagito's grip on my hand tightened. Looking over at him, I watched him nibble on his lower lip. "Hajime?" he quivered. "What you said about me at dinner... did you mean what you said?"

"Every word," I stated without hesitation.

Nagito giggled. "You never fail to make me happy."

Turning to look out the window, I smiled widely, trying to keep myself under control. "One day, I promise I will cook dinner for you. And I will make sure that it's something better than... boxed mac and cheese or something."

"I'm not a picky eater. Whatever you cook, I'll eat. I promise."

The rest of the drive was silent, and we soon pulled up in front of my house. Nagito leaned back in his seat, and I did the same. I didn't want to walk inside my house just yet. Lolling my head to face him, I saw he was already staring at me, smiling just as giddily as I was.

"Thanks for having my back tonight," I said, looking down at Nagito's hand and playing with his fingers.

Nagito slid his free hand up to my neck. Gazing up at him, his eyes remained hard and determined. He leaned over the console, letting go of my hand and sliding it around my back. He pulled me in for a tight hug. His hand pressed the back of my head into his neck, and he buried his own face into my neck. I held him back just as tight, not wanting to let go.

When Nagito made a move to pull away, I grasped his arms, preventing him from moving. Before he could move, I kissed his cheek. Pulling back, he stared at me with wide eyes.

Smiling, I exited the car. Glancing back at him, I spotted him holding his cheek and smiling giddily. Noticing my staring, he waved goodbye before pulling out of my driveway.

Once he was out of the cul-de-sac, Makoto's front door opened. I expected to see either Komaru or Makoto on the front porch, about to tease me because they were watching me. Instead, Toko ran out of the house.

"Toko?" I questioned.

She jumped and squealed, turning back to me. "H-Hajime! I thought you were inside already."

"Um... nope."

"I'll handle it," Komaru said as she walked up to Toko. She whispered something to Toko before kissing her goodbye.

Toko looked at me, blushing, before she climbed into her car and drove away.

Komaru turned to me on my front steps and ran up to me. "Can we talk a moment?"

Opening my front door, I ushered her inside. Placing my bag by the stairs, I led her to the kitchen and poured her a glass of water.

"What I am about to tell you is confidential. Only Makoto knows, and I need you to promise not to tell anyone, including Nagito. It's very important it remains a secret."

"I won't say anything, I promise."

"Toko and I are currently dating."

"After only a week of knowing each other?"

"When you know, you know," she shrugged. "After Toko showed me to the bathroom, we exchanged numbers and have been talking non-stop all week. She came over today to hang out, and I wound up kissing her. We admitted that we liked each other and made it official."

"I'm happy for you," I chirped. "But why don't you want anyone to know?"

"Makoto thinks it's just because Byakuya is overprotective of her and doesn't want to subject me to anything I'm not ready for yet, but it's really because she doesn't want to upset Byakuya that she gets to date a Naegi while he doesn't," she explained. "I guess he's in love with Makoto."

"So I've been told," I nodded. "Don't worry, though. I won't tell anyone at all. Your secret is safe with me."

"Thanks, Hajime," she exhaled, laying her head on the kitchen island. "I'm just so happy. I never thought I would have a girlfriend so soon, and I'm so happy it's someone as amazing as Toko." Jerking her head up, she smirked at me. "You know, we saw you and Nagito in the car. Did you finally confess your feelings for him?"

"No, and I don't plan to," I stated. "He values me as his friend, and based on the things we've talked about, I know he needs me more as a friend. I will not jeopardize his trust by confessing to him."

"Oh, please," she scoffed. "I saw the way he looked at you after you kissed him. He was way too giddy to not have the same feelings for you."

"The only way I plan to tell him my feelings is if he tells me his first. That's it. If he initiates it, I will reciprocate it."

"Well, if it means anything, I think the two of you will make an amazing couple." Komaru drank the rest of her water and waved goodbye before leaving my house. Exhaling, I grabbed her empty glass and put it in the sink.

At least she thought we made a cute couple. I would love to be in a relationship with him, but unless Nagito confessed first, I would not make the first move.

I cannot be the only who ships Komaru and Toko. I think the two make an absolutely adorable couple. Hopefully this chapter added the extra fluff you were hoping for.

Vote, comment, and share!