Twelve

It was early in the morning when I woke up. The sun was just rising, which was the usual when I woke up on weekends. I never worked out during the week since I had gym class at school, but on weekends I went to Sakura and Aoi's gym. They gave me a special discount so I could afford it.

My neck and back ached from sleeping upright on the couch. As I moved my legs, I noticed a blanket was placed on Nagito's and mine's lap. Either Chiaki and Kazuichi put it on us or my parents did once they came home last night.

More than that, though, I noticed how snuggled into my side Nagito was. Not only was his head still resting on my shoulder, but his entire side was curled up into mine with his left leg laying on my lap and his arms wrapped around my waist. I was a giant teddy bear. His giant teddy bear. I honestly loved it.

I was surprisingly still tired, and I wanted to go back to sleep, but I knew if I continued to sleep like I was, my back would hurt for the rest of the day. Being as careful as possible to avoid waking Nagito up, I shifted him slightly so I could lay back on the couch with him laying on my chest.

Once I was comfortably laying down, he snuggled back into my chest and tightened his grip around my waist. Smiling, I gently ran my fingers through his hair before closing my eyes and falling back asleep.

A few hours later, I heard a squeal that instantly woke me up. Opening my eyes, I looked into Nagito's wide, fearful eyes. Lifting my hand, I ran my fingers through his hair. "Good morning," I yawned.

"I'm sorry, Hajime," he quickly said. "I-I didn't mean to sleep on you."

"It's okay," I chuckled. "I actually, uh...I'm the one who laid you on my chest." Nagito blushed as he looked away from me. "I woke up in the middle of the night, and you looked so peaceful I didn't want to wake you up, so I laid you on my chest. I hope you don't mind."

"It's okay," he murmured, sitting up. Rubbing his eyes, he yawned. "I did sleep a lot better than I had in a long time. I had no idea I was so tired."

"I'm glad you did."

Looking around the room, Nagito quirked an eyebrow. "Where did Chiaki and Kazuichi go?"

"They most likely went home after the movie," I answered. "Chiaki lives in the house to my right, and Kazuichi lives in the one next to hers. Everyone kind of comes and goes as they please around here."

"Really?"

"Yeah. We're all close. Everyone's families in our cul-de-sac are close. Our parents are all friends with each other, so we were all forced to hang out as kids, which then caused us all to become friends," I explained.

Nagito's smile fell as he stared at his lap. "You're really lucky to have so many good friends. It's nice to have people you can rely on."

Sitting up, I tilted my head. "Do you not feel like you have many people to rely on?"

"Not nearly as many as you," he shrugged. "It's just what it is."

"Well, always know that you can rely on me."

His smile perked back up as he looked in my eyes. "That makes you one of my favorite people."

Blushing, I swung my legs off the couch and stood up and rubbed the back of my neck. "You're one of my favorite people, too."

Peeking at Nagito, his face lit up as he stared back at me. He was too cute. He was one of my favorite people in my life. It made me happy, and I was ecstatic knowing I was one of his favorite people, too. In a way, it made me a little sad that in just a few short weeks I'd managed to become one of his favorite people. He had Sonia and Gundham whom he seemed to be the closest to, but even though he was friends with everyone in the Ultimate Club, was he not as close with them as it seemed?