22

Britts pov

The smell of bacon and eggs hit my nostrils as I felt something hard and firm behind me. I jolted up and took a deep breath when I noticed it was just the couch.

The last thing I remembered was being in Riley's arms as he held me. It had felt just the same as it did the three years we were together and it just made me hate myself more. Even more so when I heard the clattering of kitchen utensils paired with the tune of Kyles whistle.

How could I still have such strong feelings for someone who left me twice, regardless of whether it was my fault. I had a man who was making breakfast for me and my children, a man who had been there for all of us when Riley wasn't.

Riley. Shit Did he leave? Is he still here?

Crap Kyles here.

They used to be friends, but that was before— well everything. Still, after Kyle had practically pushed me into talking to him, I couldn't imagine him acting indifferently if Riley was still here.

My mind raced with these thoughts as I got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen.

"Morning babe." Kyle smiled.

"Morning." I grinned back before turning my cheek to him as he went to kiss me. "I haven't brushed my teeth yet." I explained when he frowned slightly.

"Yeah I saw you sleeping on the couch. How did your talk go?" He asked casually as if we were talking about the news.

"Good I think. We agreed to be friends and see how it goes. I mean it's going to take a while, but I'm glad we got everything out in the open." I leaned into him as his arms wrapped around me.

"Good. Now why don't you go get the kids, breakfast will be ready soon."

I smiled up at him before walking upstairs. I needed my phone to thank Riley for last night. It really did feel good to be on okay terms with each other.

I typed out a text and was about to hit send as I walked in the kids room and saw them. Riley was asleep on the floor with Connor on one side of him and Emelia on the other. It was a bittersweet moment and even though I wanted to be angry, I couldn't help but feel happy at the sight of them.

I pulled up the camera on my phone and took a couple of pictures. I would have to get some printed so Riley and his family could have a picture of him with them.

I tried to ignore that he had spent the night here, but it was impossible. Clearly the door was locked, and he technically hadn't done anything wrong. That, paired with the realization that I had slept all night without any nightmares at all, prevented me from waking them abruptly.

Instead I turned on my heels and went back down stairs and awkwardly walked into the kitchen. I wasn't sure how he was going to take it, and honestly, I wasn't entirely sure how I felt about it either.

"So Riley's still here?"

"Huh?" He turned around to look at me.

"He's asleep on the floor between both of the kids. I thought he had left, but I guess I fell asleep and just didn't think about him staying." I explained as I saw his eyes change slightly.

He shook it off quickly, whatever it was, plastering a big smile on his face. "I'll make some more food then, we can talk about it later." He smiled taking some more eggs out of the carton.

I nodded sensing the unspoken question in his tone and walked back upstairs to wake them all up. I knelt down and gently tapped the kids awake. They grinned excitedly upon seeing Riley beside them.