8

I took the glass of water on the table in the little room with shaky hands and tried to calm myself down. It was all too much and I was exhausted and nauseous.

I took a sip and sat down rubbing my belly. I needed to do this for my future, for my child's future. The prosecution attorney walked in while my eyes were closed as I took deep breaths in and out.

"So your family tells me you're pregnant, and I know this is stressful but you're doing great. Once the defense is done with their questions it's up to you if you stay for the rest. The verdict won't come in until the jury decides but you're welcome to leave and come back."

"Thanks, I just need a minute." I said taking another deep breath and rubbing at my side, an ache in my stomach gradually becoming more painful.

"Okay, the clerk will be back for you in a little while." She smiled.

I heard the door close as she left and dropped my head into my hands, resting my elbows on my knees as I tried to focus on what I needed to do.

I heard the door open and footsteps approaching me. I assumed it was just the clerk and took three long deep breaths as a hand touched my shoulder causing me to jump at the touch. Surprisingly the hand ran circles around my shoulder and down my back as a familiar scent of wood invaded my nostrils and calmed me instantaneously.

"Shhh, Its okay, I'm so sorry!" He whispered as I was pulled into his chest.

It was overwhelming, hearing his voice and having him here, holding me like old times.

"Riley?" I sobbed as I wrapped my arms around him and let out months of hurt onto his shirt.

But this wasn't going to be a happy reunion. I was pulled from the moment of calmness his arms gave me by the clerk telling me it was time to return to court. I stood up and turned to walk away as he pulled me back into his arms.

"You can do this. Show them they don't control you! take back the power over your life!" He whispered in my ear as the baby moved in my stomach again and I tried not to flinch at the pain that shot into my lower back.

"Thank you." I smiled weakly.

"We will talk after?"

"Yeah." I said in a timid whisper as I pulled out of his arms again and followed the clerk back to the bane of my nightmares.

As soon as everyone was reseated the judge called the court back into session as the defense counsel, a short grey haired chubby guy walked towards me with a sly grin on his face and introduced himself.

"So we have already heard about the alleged assault that took place but would you mind telling the court what happened on October 5th three years ago?"

"That was the first time Carl assaulted me. We were assigned a group project and he suggested we do it at his house. I didn't really know him back then but he seemed nice enough so I agreed and went with him after school to work on the project." I stated. "He pushed me against the door when I tried to leave and told me that he wanted me while he groped me through my clothes."

"I see. So if that is true I would assume it was reported?"

"No, I... I didn't report it to the police." I replied shakily.

"Why not?"

"I...I.."

"Is it true that after that first alleged assault you quickly started dating one Riley Millington?"

"Yes but..." I grew flustered as my body began heating up and the ache in my stomach intensified.

"Isn't it also true that Mr Millington was leaving for college shortly after this alleged assault that we are here for today?"