Chapter Fourteen

I've never seen Crawford cry. It's been the opposite all day. He finally looks up and his eyes are red. I wipe his tears and look at him. "I can't lose you..." He says quietly. "You won't" I say and hug him. He pulls away and grabs my face in both of his hands and kisses me. It's the first time I kissed him and it felt like sparks were going off. We need fireworks or something. He pulls away slowly and smiles. He then stands up and helps me up. We walk back to my house without saying anything, just holding hands.

We get back to my house and go inside. "Ness?" My mom yells from upstairs. "Yeah?" I yell back. She runs downstairs but stops when she sees my face. "Did he do that?!" She said pointing to my face. "NO NO NO! Some girl at school did..." I say looking down and hugging Crawford. "And did that one do anything to protect you?" She said still pointing at Crawford. "Yes. Why wouldn't he?" I said annoyed. "I made sure she wouldn't do it again, ma'am" he said nervously. My mother nodded and grabbed my arm and dragged me to the kitchen. "Sit down" she said. I sat on a stool at the counter while she grabbed an ice pack. Crawford came in and stood in the doorway. He slid down against the wall and put his head in his hands. "I feel like this is my fault" I hear him mumble. I quickly get up and go over to him and sit on his lap and hold him. "It's not your fault at all" I tell him. "But I wasn't there to protect you!" He chokes out. "Crawford it's okay!"
"But I don't want you by yourself, not even your brother is in that class with you"
"Crawford I'll be fine-"
"I'm changing my classes"
"Crawford it's fine"
"No it's not, I need to be there for you. You got bullied already and it's your first day. I'm not letting it happen again."
I hold his head against my shoulder again and look at my mom. She nods while smiling. She likes him. I'm glad, cause I might love him.