29- breathe baby

Cora's POV——-

I heard what the doctor said. Clearly. In fact, it was the first clear thing I had heard in hours. But it didn't seem to register.

Until it did. And in that moment, I screamed. Kayla spun to see me. My dad was the first to get to me.

My brothers were weighed down comforting my mother. Kayla stood a little off.

"I am so sorry." Lindsay spoke. She was the family doctor.

I shook my head violently. Then, laughter bubbled out, manically.

"No. No, he's not dead!" I protested. I wrenched free of my fathers arms and charged my way into my brothers hospital room.

I stared down at his limp body. I felt anger feeling my veins. "Wake the hell up! Get up!" I screamed, shaking him.

"Please, Con," I sobbed. "Please. I need you!" I screamed again.

"I- I can help. I can." I assured him. The flatlining of his machine protested my statement, but I persevered.

I grabbed a syringe and jabbed it into my arm. It feeler with my blood. My blood had turned a darker color.

Almost black, but still red.

I pulled it from my arms and the puncture healed quicker that usual.

I jabbed the needle into his own arm and pushed my blood would enter into his bloodstream.

I could feel my family watching, waiting, begging.

"Please work. I can't live without you." I begged.

And then, it stopped flatlining. His monitor began beeping until it reached a steady rhythm.

My mom yelled in joy. My brothers were too shocked to move. I did it. I saved my brother.

"Breathe, baby, breathe." My mom cried.

Bree, who had been curled into his side, finally sat up. She traced his face with the biggest smile before kissing his lips.

"You're alive." She whispered. I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to see Kayla.

I stood up and grabbed her neck, smashing my lips to hers. She moved in sync with me.

I broke the kiss. My parents were to busy fussing and crying over Connor to worry about it.

I turned back around to sit beside him. I took his hand in mine and slowly his eyes opened.

The green shone bright as I am sure mine did. But unlike me, he still had our natural blue in the other eye.

He stared right back into my eyes. "Is mine that green too?" He asked, running a hand along my face.

"Yeah. Yeah, it is." I answered. He blinked slowly at it trying to see if he could feel the change.

Bree was curled into his side. "So, what happened?" Connor asked. And so I explained.

I explained everything. The other twins, the purpose of the experiments, everything.

It was really late when I decided to go to bed. Kayla followed silently in tow. I could feel fear rolling off of her.

We got to my bedroom before I spoke. "Will you just say something?"

Her eyes widened. "It's just...you could have died." She tells me quietly.

"Really? I didn't know that." I retorted sarcastically. She scoffed.

"What I meant was, I always knew if you died, i'd be heart broken. But tonight, I felt like I was suffocating. Like everything I loved was disappearing. Because I love you." She finished.

I stared at her, silently. "I love you too." I responded. And just like that, she lunged for me.

Her hands wrapped around my waist. "Promise me. Promise me, you won't leave me." She begged.

And so I lied. "I promise."

I would never leave her voluntarily, but in my heart, I know one day I won't have a choice.

She helps me change since I am still groggy. Then, we lied in my bed. She was curled into me. And softly kissed my neck.

She didn't mean anything by the gesture just wanted me to know she was here.

I pushed impossibly closer to her. "Do you think they'd help?" I asked. Her eyebrows furrowed.

"Who? Help with that?" She asked.

"My family. Help free the rest of the twins." I answered. We sat in silence for awhile longer.

"I know your brothers will. I could see it in their eyes when you told the story. They couldn't imagine someone else going through the pain they went through." She answered, finally.

I nodded to her words. "And my parents?" I pressed. She sighed, heavily.

"I'm not sure. They have a empire to run not to mention, I don't think they want to see more of what happened to their baby girl." She answered.

I hummed. "Where was Gray tonight?" She asked. I squinted my eyes trying to remember where my little brother was.

"Oh! His new friend, Levi." I answered, happily. Gray has had a tough time making friends. Even for a young boy he is incredibly shy with people he's not comfortable with.

Kayla broke out into a grin. "Good. He needs some friends." She laughed. It sounded a bit rude, but I knew that's not how she meant it and I laughed along with her.

"So much for a great 18th birthday." She sighed.

"Your party was great," I kissed her nose. "You're great," I kissed her cheek. "And I love you." I kissed her lips.

She smiled against mine as I pulled back. "Want to try to get some sleep, my love?" She asked. I nodded.

We drifted off in one and others arms.

———————-

When we awoke the next morning, we continued to lie in bed.

Connor remained in the hospital, closely monitored. My dad fought that I should too, but I wasn't having it.

As everyone well knows, I despise hospitals.

Grudgingly, I pulled myself from my bed and took a shower. I smelt of vodka and sweat.

Never took a shower after the party last night. I heard the door shut and knew Kayla was in the bathroom with me.

I poked my head out from the curtain. She was sitting in the sink with tweezers.

"Ow!" She hissed after pulling a hair. I chuckled.

"Oh yeah, laugh it up." She hissed and continued to torture herself.

I turned off the water and grabbed a towel. I stepped out of the shower with the towel wrapped around me.

Kayla's eyes lingered, but she said nothing. I walked into my bedroom and pulled on some ripped jeans along with a black sweater thing.

I rang out my hair, but didn't bother to blow dry it.

Kayla came in and wrapped her arms around my waist.

"Let's go talk to my family about saving those twins." I told her.

She nodded.