22-hacks

Vicki stared at me. Evaluating me, trying to figure out whether or not I was telling the truth.

"Come in." She gestures and swung her door open wider.

"Where are you parents?" Kayla asked looking around the house.

"I haven't known the answer to that question since I was 13." Vicki answered.

I glanced at Kayla. "It was always Victor and I. Us against the world."

"I have a twin like that." I informed her. She threw me a glance.

"You said people were experimenting on him? You said they did it to you too. How did you get away?" She pressed.

"Training. It took me years to escape." I answered.

"My brother... was he with you?" She questioned.

"No. I didn't even know there were others. They called us 'subjects' I was Subject 12. 12 twins were taken." I explained. She gasped at the number.

"Do you- do you think he's alive?" She asked as a tear escaped her eyes.

"I do," my voice cracked. I bet he'd rather be dead than go through that though. "I do." I assured her, leaving out my negative thoughts.

"Uhm, thank you, for telling me." She choked out. I nodded slowly, afraid that she would break at any second. I know I would.

I glanced to Kayla and I felt my breath quicken. She must have noticed my discomfort because she immediately sprang into action.

"Here, Vicki. This is our phone numbers. Text us as soon as we leave so we can talk. It was nice meeting you, Vicki. And I am so incredibly sorry about your brother." Kayla spoke.

I got to my feet. Kayla's arm was wrapped around my waist. And before we stepped out the door I turned to Vick.

"Text me, Vicki. I would really like that." And then I hurried out with Kayla.

"Guessing you don't want to meet the other twins?" She asked with a sympathetic smile.

I shook my head stating I did not want to. "Does that make me selfish?" I asked, my voice wavered.

"It makes you human, babe. You don't want to relive a traumatic experience. Nothing wrong with that." Kayla assured me.

"I do want them to know. I just don't want to tell it 10 more times, you know?" I spoke.

"Then, let's get their numbers and you can tell them all at once." She offered.

Bingo.

"Please make that happen." I begged. She nodded with a smiled. She reached over and grabbed my hand, kissing the back of it.

"Of course." She smiled. I squeezed her hand. She glanced over at me before returning to the road.

"Let's get home." She spoke. I nodded.

"How are we suppose to get 11 phone numbers?" Kay asked.

In that second both of our phones dinged.

Vicki-

Hello. It's Vicki.

"10 phone numbers. We can use dad's computer, he has all kinds of things on it that can help us find a their numbers." I answered.

"So, I take it we aren't telling your dad about this?" She questioned. I laughed.

"You'd be correct. Guess we are hacking my dad's computer today."

Kayla smiled at me. She drove us home as I sang to some french song I heard on the tv show.

I climbed out of the car when we arrived. "Hacking time..." Kayla spoke in a sing-songy voice.

I clamped my hand over her mouth. "Maybe not so loud, yeah?" I urged. She nodded and I released my hand.

"Okay, dad's office is closer toward the end of the house." I spoke as we walked toward the room.

"What are you guys doing?" A voice rang out. I grabbed Kayla's hand instinctively.

I turned around slowly. Grayson. I let out a sigh, but didn't let go of Kay's hand.

"We are playing hide and seek!" Kayla answered quickly. Oh no. Bad lie.

"I wanna play!" He screamed jumping up in down in excitement.

I glanced at Kayla. She cringed knowing she shouldn't have said that.

"Alright, buddy. You go hide. We will seek." Kayla told him. He smiled and ran off.

"Liar liar." I taunted. She slapped my wagging finger.

"Got him to go away, didn't I?" She retorted.

"He'll be sad when we don't come looking." I informed her.

"We will look after we are done." She told me.

We walked into the room and I quickly locked the door. We ran to the computer and Kayla collapsed into the rolling chair.

She tried to figure out the phone numbers. "Damn it! I am not good at the tech stuff. Give me a gun and I can hit anything!" She groaned pushing away firm the computer.

She got out of the chair and collapsed on the couch to the side. I sat in the chair and began typing.

I compiled the numbers quickly. "Hmm, guess you're pretty good at the tech stuff." Kayla laughed grabbing my shoulders.

I programmed the numbers into my phone. "Guess so. Now, let's go find Gray before he starts thinking we forgot him." I smiled and grabbed her hand.

"Never could forget that cutie." Kayla laughed.

I grabbed her hand and pulled her toward the door. "Wait. Shit!" I hissed when my ears picked up sound coming from the down the hall.

"What?" Kayla whispered frantically. I pulled her toward the closet.

"Someones coming." I whispered.

"I didn't hear anyone." She asked scrunching her eyebrows. 

We sat on the floor as I hugged her body to mine. The door opened. I gave her a look saying 'I told you so' but she couldn't see me.

I could hear my dad humming a song. "And I....want to swing! From a chandelier!" My dad sang loudly.

I began to laugh, but Kayla's hand was quick on top of my mouth. Then, she started to laugh and I was quick to cover hers too.

She tried to stifle her laughter. I glanced down at her and could make out her eyes.

I grabbed her chin and pressed my lips to hers. She grabbed my head and started to kiss me back. Our laughter stopped.

The door closed and she broke our kiss. "You know, one day, when all this is over, we are going to have to talk about what's going on between us." She told me.

I kissed her quickly. "For now, let's go find my little brother." I smiled.

"And then?" She urged. I smiled. I pulled her out of the closet.

"Then, once we fix everything, we talk about us."