40- baby

I had to make calls like that over 11 times. Ever though there were only 11 others, I had to call more than one person.

Some didn't pick up though. Which wasn't a big deal, but it made things more difficult. They were all suppose to call me when they got here.

My phone rang and I answered it instantly. It was Vicki. I rushed outside to see him leaning against a car, his fist clenched.

"Hey, Vick." I greeted her with a small smile. Her eyes darted to me before rushing to me and grabbing  hands.

"Victor? He's here? Seriously?" Her hands were almost cutting my circulation off. I nodded.

"Are you ready to see him?" I asked. She looked at my for a couple of seconds.

"Yes please." She nodded. And so I set out on bringing her to her brother.

Once we got to the main part of the hospital, I found a doctor to ask which room he was in.

When we arrived at the door, Vicki hesitated. I glanced at her. "Are you okay?" I asked.

"What if he doesn't recognize me? What if he blames me?" She blurted out. Her hands were shaking.

"You are his twin sister. He'll recognize you. And he would never blame you. None of us blame our twins, promise." I swore.

And so then she opened the door. On the bed laid Victor. A blanket to his chin. His eyes darted up and saw me. Then quickly flicked to Vicki.

"Vick?" His voice cracked. She wasted no time bounding into his arms. I walked out of the room, wanting to give them their space.

I found Lindsay pretty quickly. "Any word on Kayla?" I questioned. She grinned.

"Out of surgery and on her way to recovery. Rickey is with her now." She answered. I clapped before asking what room and rushing there.

Uncle Rickey had her hand in his. She was asleep. She looked peaceful. I walked slowly toward them.

He looked up at me with a sad smile. "How is she?" I asked, awkwardly.

"She's stable. Should be waking up soon." He answered as he stroked the hair from her face.

"Can- Can I have a moment alone with her?" I ask as I clench and unclench my hands. Not out of anger. More out of nerves.

"Yeah. Yeah. Of course." He answered. He gave her a short kiss on the top of her head before walking out of the room.

I took the seat he had occupied and took he hand. "Hey, baby. You need to wake up now. Because I miss you. And you deserve to see all these people reunited with their families. It was your doing. So, please wake up."

I stayed by her side until my phone rang again. I answered with a hello.

"Um, this is Charlie. You called me. I'm here." She told me. Charlie. Cassidy's sister.

I told her I'd be right out. I kissed Kayla's knuckles before running out to meet Charlie. Her car was parked near Vicki's.

"Hey, Charlie. I'm Cora." I introduced myself. She gave me a small smile.

"So, why did you call me to meet you here? Sounded urgent. Even though I haven't got a clue who in the hell you are." She spoke rather fiercely. I see Cassidy wasn't the only one with fire.

"It's easier if I show you. Follow me." I told her. She, however did not follow me.

"Yeah, sorry. I have watched every single crime show and I will not be one of the dumb bitches who die because they, well follow someone into their home." She argued. I grinned at her.

"I am not going to kill you. Cassidy wants to talk to you." I retorted, cocking my head. They were identical. Only difference was that Cassidy had more scars.

Her face paled. Any fear on her face dropped to confusion and slight hope. "How do you know that name?" She asked quickly.

"She's your twin. And she missed you very much." I told her. She searched my face for a lie and when she did not find one, she followed me.

I got to the door I saw Cassidy go into. "Stay here for a second while I tell her you're here." I told her. She nodded but grabbed my wrist before letting me go in.

"Is she okay?" She asked with tears in her eyes.

"Are any of us?" I countered. She released me and I went inside. I was seriously going to need to hold some kind of gathering for all of the families once they all get here.

"Hey, Cora! How is Kayla?" Cassidy asked quickly. She was watching tv in her bed.

"Stable. Someone here's to see you." I informed her. She looked at me, deeply. Then glanced to their door as I opened it.

Charlie stood on the other side. Charlie's red hair was in a bun just as Cassidy's was.

Cassidy let out a strangled sob. Charlie rushed to her. Practically throwing herself in her arms. I grinned before leaving.

I had made sure everyone had, had someone with them. They talked for hours, but Kayla still never woke.

I walked up to Lindsay. If I had to wait for Kayla to wake up, I might as well talk to the others.

"Could you get all of the escapees into a large room?" I asked her. She nodded quickly before dashing off.

It didn't take long for her to come back. "Okay, they are all in the last door on your right. It has a very comfortable setting. Hopefully, it'll calm them." Lindsay informed me.

I thanked her and walked toward the doors. I opened it slowly and there sat all the people who shared my worst experiences.

The door clicked behind me. I took notice they didn't bring anyone with them. I gave them a wave. "Hey, guys. Um, I'm Cora. I came here with you." I told them.

Cassidy was grinning ear to ear. "She helped save us." She butted in. She looked slightly annoyed by my modesty.

"I just, I thought we should talk about it. Or something. I thought that we could, well, help each other." I informed them.

They didn't seem to hate the idea. In fact, they we're grinning. A blonde boy spoke up. "I for one would fucking love being y'all's friend."

It sounded cheesy or childish. But we were children. And we were taken away from society at 13.

But that's not how he meant it. I knew that. He meant it like he would love to have friends that understood.

"Do you want to tell your families? About the..abilities? Everything?" I asked slowly.

"Did you tell yours?" A black haired girl asked. I slowly nodded my head.

"I did. I told them everything. And it was terrifying. But it felt good." I answered.

Victor finally spoke. "Could- Could we all tell them together?" He asked slowly. Obviously afraid of rejection.

"Would you all want that?" I asked the group. Every single one of them nodded their head yes.

"Then that's what we'll do."

————————————

One more chapter, bitches! 😢

kinda scared to let this book go, but it's time to end Cora's story!