42- Dream

WARNING: blood/gore and language

He ran through the castle halls, dragging a glowing-Wilbur behind him. He could hear the Ender flying above them and the occasional explosion that rocked the hallways behind them let him know that the Ender was shooting dark energy at them.

"Can't you turn off?!" Dream asked as they ran. "You're like a beacon!"

"I can't!" Wilbur retorted. "I don't know how to use this fucking thing! You think I want to be glowing and shit!?"

"Look out!" Tubbo exclaimed as another ball of energy hit the hallway before them, knocking them to the ground and sealing off their path. Through the shattered window, Dream glimpsed the Ender flying by and he cursed.

"Why the fuck are you even here?" Dream snapped, glaring at Tubbo as he got to his feet.

"I want to save Drista just as much as you do," Tubbo replied.

"Come on, this way!" George said, holding open a door for them. Dream shook his head, but went through the door regardless. If he'd had his way, it would only be him and Wilbur going to the portal room, but Tubbo, George, and Sapnap had followed them. He didn't want any of them to get hurt because of his actions.

Deeper into the castle, the explosions grew less frequent until they stopped all together.

"Through here," Dream said, leading them through the royal family's wing until they stopped outside of his parents bedroom. No one had ever been here before but him and even Dream hadn't opened the door since the day his mother died.

"Dream..." George said softly, knowing what was behind the door, but Dream pushed it open. Inside, the room looked exactly as it had when he'd left it. For the most part, it looked like any other royal family's bedroom. But it had an air of things better left unsaid. Claw marks ran along the walls and Dream could see his mother as she Turned, raking her hands over the walls as they became dark and clawed. He remembered the way her eyes burned with the same dark energy he saw in Drista's eyes now.

"Come on," he said thickly, looking away from the walls and the one spot on the floor which held a dark, suspicious stain. But it was too late, he'd already seen it and his mind instantly transported him back to the day he murdered his mother.

"Mom!" he yelled, trembling as he backed away from her. "It's me! Clay! Your son!"

His mother didn't hear. She continued towards him, her eyes blazing purple. Dark tendrils curled up her face and neck, sweat pouring down her face as she muttered in a language he didn't understand.

"Mom, please!" Dream exclaimed, his thirteen-year-old self quaking with fear. "Just calm down!"

She didn't listen. The queen raised her hand as if to strike him and Dream backed into the vanity. Grabbing the letter opener from behind him, he turned and thrust it into her gut. She froze above him, the glow in her eyes fading away as Dream realized what he'd just done.

"M-mom?" he whispered, his hands shaking. His mother looked down at the letter opener protruding from her stomach and slowly pulled it out, staring at it intently.

"Mom, no!" Dream exclaimed as she slowly keeled over. He was by her side in an instant, his hands ceasing to tremble as dark blood dripped to the floor.

"Mom...Mom, please!" Dream sobbed openly as she shook. Her eyes cleared and she looked at him, her green eyes gazing at his own. Her hand came up to cup his cheek and he held it there, tears streaming down his face.