34- Dream

WARNING: Blood, language, and talk of suicide

He watched as Tommy leapt for Tubbo's throat, claws extended. He wheezed with laughter at the irony of the situation. The two had once been best friends and now they were going to kill each other! Well, Tommy was going to kill Tubbo, that was for sure. Dream wouldn't allow Tommy to be killed, oh no, no, no. Tommy was one of Dream's most valuable assets! Ranboo would have been too, but he hadn't counted on his Ender half rejecting his control. Ranboo had become a liability. After Tommy was finished with Tubbo, he would have to send him after Ranboo. Yes, that would work.

He gazed out over the chaos of the ballroom, shrieks echoing from here and beyond. Dream had allowed the doors to remain open, giving his Endermen a chance to hunt as panicked people fled the ballroom in hopes of finding safety elsewhere. They were all doomed though, there was no outrunning the Endermen. Especially not once you had made eye contact with them.

He left the dais, walking through the ballroom, careful to step over the bodies as he did so. The place looked different, so different from what he'd grown up in. Drista had done a marvelous job at rebuilding the castle and he almost felt bad for tainting it with bloodshed. Almost.

Speaking of Drista, he looked around the room until he spotted her fending off an Enderman. Frowning, he called out to the creature in its native tongue, demanding that it step away from her. The Enderman screamed in frustration, but teleported away all the same.

"Dream," Drista growled, glowering at him.

"You don't seem too happy to see me," Dream replied, holding his arms wide. "Not even a hug for your big brother?"

"You're a monster!" she said and he frowned, stopping just a few feet away from her. She looked older than he'd last seen her, more mature. She'd gotten taller too and they were almost the same height now, though Dream still stood a good few inches above her.

"You've grown up," he noted.

"And you haven't," she replied, still holding her swords warily.

"Please, I don't want to fight," he said, raising his hands.

"Then call off your monsters," she said. "Now! No more innocent people need to lose their lives here tonight! These were once your people, how can you betray them like this?"

"Betray them?" he asked. "How can I betray them if they never supported me? You forget, dear sister, that they formed a rebellion during my old rule. I won't allow that to happen again."

"There won't be a next time," Drista frowned. "You're no longer king and I don't think you ever should be."

"Why?" Dream asked. "Does the thought of me with power scare you?"

"It makes me scared for you and the nightmare you'll become," Drista replied. "Look at yourself! You've already changed so much."

She finally let her swords fall, gazing at him with tired eyes.

"Clay, I'm so tired of this," she said softly. "This isn't you. Ever since you became king, you've been different. I know that part of you had to grow up in order to lead, I know that, but there were parts of you that didn't have to change!"

"Which parts?" he asked. "Which parts have changed?"

"You became... reclusive," she said slowly. "You stopped talking to me, you barely made time for me at all. You shut me out, and that was before the rebellion even started."

"I'm sorry," he apologized. Her eyes widened at this and somewhere inside, he truly felt remorse for making his sister feel so abandoned by him.

"What?" she asked.