11- Tubbo

WARNING: Language and blood

"There it is!" Fundy exclaimed, pointing in the distance. "The Nether Fortress."

    Tubbo stared up at the hulking structure before them, it's sheer size dwarfing even the king's castle. Made of dark nether bricks, the fortress was raised by a series of archways that held it aloft. Numerous halls and pathways could be seen snaking out into various parts of the Nether world.

    "How are we supposed to find a tiny Nether portal in the midst of all that?" Tubbo asked.

    "We'll just have to keep looking until we find it," Schlatt said. He started towards the fortress, leaving the rest of the rebels to follow him.

    "I don't like this," Niki whispered to Tubbo as they trekked. "I've got a bad feeling that something terrible is going to happen."

    "I hope your feeling is wrong," Tubbo replied. "This could be our only chance to get out of here."

    Inside, the fortress was dark. Lanterns glowing with blue soul fire had been hung erratically from the ceiling, providing them at least some light. It had been Schlatt's idea to leave behind bits of netherrack so they could keep track of what pathways they had explored and which pathways were still unknown.

    "This place is huge," Fundy commented after what had to be hours of walking. "How are we ever going to find this stupid portal?"

    "Looks like it's up there," Schlatt said, pointing to a portal at the top of a turret not too far from where they were now.

    "Oh," Fundy said, bewildered. "Of course we'd only find it now!"

    Tubbo grinned, excited that their plan was going smoothly. They had yet to run into any guards, council members, or the king himself, which was a good sign.

    "We have to be careful when going back through the portal," Niki warned them as they climbed. "Time in the Nether passes differently. Who knows just how long it's been since we've been stuck in here."

    "Here it is," Schaltt said as they reached the top of the turret and stared at the purple void. "Dream's secret Nether portal."

    "What are we waiting for?" Tubbo asked. "Let's go grab some obsidian!"

    "Wait!" Schlatt exclaimed, standing in front of the portal. "It's not safe for all of us to go through at once. We should pick one person and send them through so we don't put everyone in jeopardy."

    "How do we decide who goes through?" Fundy asked.

    "It should be me," Tubbo said, stepping forward. "After all, this was my idea. I should be the one to go through."

    "It was my idea too, son," Schlatt said. "If anything, I should go."

    "No," Tubbo shook his head. "It's like you said. We don't know what's on the other side. If something happens to me, you have to keep everyone safe. You have to lead them, Schlatt."

    "Tubbo, I really don't like this, I don't think you should go!" Niki exclaimed, grabbing his arm to pull him back. "Fundy, help me!"

    "Niki," Fundy said calmly, placing a hand on her shoulder. "This is our only way out. If Tubbo thinks he can do it, I say we let him."

    "Thank you," he said, nodding gratefully towards his friends. Turning to Schlatt, he said, "I'll be back soon."

    "Be careful, son," Schlatt said, though his eyes darted around nervously.