60

The next day, Su Qingbai stayed at home and did not go out. The first reason was that he was embarrassed. If he went out and bumped into someone who knew him, he was afraid of causing trouble to Jiang Mao. Secondly, he was embarrassed to go out in the street as an adult man with a big belly.

In Yue Wang Residence, besides Jiang Mao, Su Qingbai, and a group of bodyguards and pageboys, there were several girls, which were the senior maidservants of Consort Lou. Consort Lou took several to the palace, and now there were still a few left in the residence.

These girls were dedicated to serving Consort Lou. Once Consort Lou was absent, they were idle, often drinking in the courtyard and composed poems as amusement.

Su Qingbai and Jiang Mao were not far away.

"Why are you so idle when you get back to the capital?" Su Qingbai teased the crickets in the jar with the vermicular grass. Following Jiang Mao, he heard the news and learned that the emperor was dying and that several princes were all ready to move. Thus he was curious. How could Jiang Mao accompany him calmly every day?

Jiang Mao smiled. "Where am I idle? Aren't I busy with accompanying you all day?"

"You know what I mean."

Jiang Mao firmed up. "During this period, the situation in the capital is tense. I had only arrived in the capital not too long ago. I did not go up to join in the fun for fear of attracting the attention of interested people." As he said, he stroked Su Qingbai's stomach. "At least after you give birth, I can rest assured to do other things."

"It's still early to give birth." He touched his stomach; there was still four months away.

"Don't be anxious, I know very well in my heart." Although he didn't go out much all day, it didn't mean he hadn't done anything.

Although Jiang Mao stayed at home with him almost every day and didn't pay attention to the things in the capital, he had promised to do things for Third Prince before and many people didn't know that the relationship between Jiang Mao and Third Prince had cracked. Therefore, many people still visited him every day.

Take today for example: while he and Su Qingbai were contending crickets1 together, the pageboy came to report, "Lord Wang, a Lord comes to see you."

There were so many people who had come to see him these days. There were people from Third Prince and even Fifth Prince and Sixth Prince. Jiang Mao was really annoyed. He waved, "Just say I'm not here."

"Lord Wang, the person said that he is Wang Shouzhong of Yiliang."

"Wang Shouzhong?" As soon as he heard the name, Jiang Mao sat up and his attitude changed greatly. "Go and invite him in. I'll be there later."

As the pageboy walked away, Su Qingbai asked Jiang Mao, "Wang Shouzhong, who is it?"

"When I was in Cangzhou, foreigners invaded my territory. I didn't have many soldiers at that time and he helped me. He's a good man." Jiang Mao put on his coat and pinched Su Qingbai's fleshy chin. "How about you play by yourself first, and I'll play with you later."

Su Qingbai nodded. "Go ahead." One's proper business was important.

After Jiang Mao left, Su Qingbai was bored and went to the backyard.

Outside the backyard's gate was a street. It was bustling with noise and excitement and sold many things.

Su Qingbai had the gate open and bought a lot of food. He sat at the gate, watching and eating.

In normal times, he did not go out very much, and sometimes he was really bored. He often came here to sit. There was one time that he was lucky where there happened to be a vaudeville setting up a stall not far away.