37

After autumn, it slowly entered the winter. Several heavy flurries of snow successively fell.

The environment of the border town was not so good. After a few snowfalls, the road became very difficult to walk.

Everyone thought that Zhang Su would go back to the capital city. The first reason being the climate here was not good, it was inconvenient. Second, the Lunar New Year was approaching slowly. Zhang Su would always go home for the Spring Festival. As a result, Zhang Su did not go as they had expected. He did not go home for the New Year. He abnormally drilled into their small mountain village and did not even stay in the county town.

After Zhang Su arrived, wonder if it was Su Qingbai's illusion that Xu Qian was silent a lot.

Every time Zhang Su came, he and Su Lingchuan liked to talk about the current various situations of the Imperial Court.

Today, Su Qingbai felt that Zhang Su was specifically speaking to him.

When the family ate and sat around the table, Zhang Su began to say. "I heard that Yue Wang had returned to the capital a month ago."

Su Lingchuan listened in silence. But Su Huai who was listening asked Zhang Su, "So, with the help of Yue Wang, did Third Prince take that throne?"

Zhang Su took a sip of his own wine, shook his head profoundly, and then suddenly looked at Su Qingbai.

Su Qingbai, who was eating after being stared at so much, he could eat it anymore. "What's wrong?"

Zhang Su smiled at him. "We're talking about Yue Wang... You don't need to bury your head into the meal. You can have a few drinks with us and have a chat." After saying that, he poured Su Qingbai a cup of wine.

Su Qingbai took a sip from his cup.

On the side, Su Caicai saw everyone had a cup but he didn't. He was greedy and wanted to drink. Su Huai dipped the tip of his chopsticks into the wine cup and sent it to Su Caicai's mouth.

Su Caicai took a lick, frowned, and did not want to drink it anymore.

Madam Su couldn't help but say that a child as young as Su Caicai should not drink alcohol.

Su Huai had to bow his head to admit his mistake.

The topic went back to Yue Wang.

Zhang Su said, "Qingbai, what do you think?" Qingbai and Yue Wang seemed familiar with each other, so Zhang Su asked him. In his heart, he thought Su Qingbai might know something about the news.

"How can I know what Yue Wang thinks?" Su Qingbai said.

When he said this, Zhang Su assumed that he didn't want to say it, so he stopped asking him. He turned around and continued to talk with Su Huai.

Su Qingbai also had thought of Jiang Mao in his heart. In the six months, Su Caicai could walk a few steps, but he had no news about Jiang Mao there.

Su Qingbai was anxious; his family could not leave this town. Jiang Mao was far away in the capital that if something happened to him, he would be helpless here. Similarly, if Jiang Mao stayed in the capital and did not return, he would not have any other way.

Su Qingbai's heart worried nothing. The person in his heart was on the way to the side of the border town in the wind and snow.

Jiang Mao arrived in this town after a month's ride.

It was an afternoon when Jiang Mao arrived at the border town, arranged a group of people, and at thought of his sweetheart in the village, Jiang Mao almost never stopped rushing alone to the side of the small mountain village.

Half of a year had gone by. It was late summer when he left, and it was cold in spring when he came back.

Jiang Mao missed him very much.

Some time ago, Consort Lou who was devoted to venerating the Buddha and did not let go of the image of disregarding the affairs of life had suddenly joined the mortal coil. She also stopped venerate the Buddha and chanting sutras and began to take over some of the household chores of the residence from Jiang Mao. Now, she even gave advice for Jiang Mao's friends, partner, and marriage. She would say: to make friends depends on the character of the other party and blablabla. You're twenty-year-olds; most people should have children and so on.

From the outsider's point of view, it seemed her acts were necessary to make up for years she neglected her son.

Of course, people would think so, mostly because they respected Jiang Mao's pride. No matter what others think in their hearts, they would be exaggerating in their mouth.

Consort Lou gave birth to the original body but she had little mother and son affection towards the original body. Looking at this body's past, he would keep her clothed and fed without worries or seeing to Consort Lou's safety.

Jiang Mao had no patience to deal with these people in the capital during the Spring Festival.

Just after the end of the Lunar New Year, Jiang Mao did not have time to spend with her. He told her about the affairs of the capital city. Then he went to the border town to meet the person he missed.

In a month, he finally arrived in this county.

Afraid to frighten the people in Su Qingbai's village, Jiang Mao came to the small mountain village by himself.

It was mid-afternoon and smoke was already rising from the roof of the houses for dinner time soon.

Jiang Mao looked at the small village from afar, swung his whip, and sped towards the village.

This village was somewhat remote, narrow, and difficult to walk. Because it was warmer than the capital, the snow had melted, the road was muddy, and from time to time one could see a small puddle beside the road.

Not far ahead, through the way, a chubby child who was playing something on the muddy roadside.

Jiang Mao especially slowed down the speed.

But that's what happened. Wherever the horse's hooves went, it inevitably splashed.

The road was so narrow that it would have spilled on the child.

The child also subconsciously wanted to hide, but it seemed that he wore too many clothes that it was inconvenient to move. He originally wanted to hide and as a result, one did not stand firm and plunged into the mud.

Jiang Mao picked him up and saw that his little face was covered with mud and his clothes were obviously wet.