Chapter 24

They were not flies on the wall. 

Kevin Frazier and his crew showed up right on time, and quickly made themselves comfortable. Bright flood lights were being set up, tripods were being marked on the floors, and I was getting a mic clipped to me. I looked around and noticed my dance space had decreased significantly, which worried me for large group numbers. Two directors chairs were placed in the center of the madness, and I was guided over to sit in one. I anxiously looked around, waiting to start the interview. I haven't had cameras on me since I was fourteen when all of the Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition buzz died down. Kevin walked over and shook my hand, flashing me a bright white smile. 

"Hi Madison, it's nice to meet you. Are you ready to do this?" He asked, sitting down with his question cards in hand. 

"Hi, you too. I think so? I'm a little nervous."  I admitted and he nodded, understanding. 

"Totally normal, just think of it as a conversation. Bits and pieces will be cut out for the segment, so speak in full sentences since the questions won't make the final cut." A crew member clapped a board in our faces, and someone called action. "Four years ago, thirteen year old Madison O'Connor stole America's hearts by dancing on our televisions every Friday night and winning Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition. After studying at the Joffrey School of Ballet for four years, at seventeen years old, Madison is leading a benefit showcase for Dancer's Against Cancer. Tonight, we'll get an inside look on rehearsals, and get to talk to some of the performers, choreographers, and kids that Madison is fighting for." Kevin introduced, and my heart felt warm. I know he was just doing his job by hyping me up, but it made me feel special. "So, Madison," Kevin turned to me, "Tell me a little bit about the showcase. What or who can we expect see?" 

"Well, the showcase is going to benefit Dancers Against Cancer, a wonderful organization founded by the dance community that helps fund treatments for childhood cancer patients. They work very closely with members of the dance community, teachers, performers, choreographers, who have been impacted by cancer. They also provide patients with isolated dance classes, in an effort to give them a sense or normalcy with after school activities. You'll see some of these lovely kids in the showcase, December fourth, in addition to some other special guests." I smiled, and Ricky gave me a thumbs up. 

"Can we get any hints of who we'll see? Any friends from season one?"

"You'll for sure see some friends from season one, who have all been working ridiculously hard to help put together this beautiful showcase. Actually, the whole thing is choreographed by my favorite choreographer from season one, Ricky Palomino." Ricky rolled his eyes, jokingly, and I gave another smile. 

"That's great, that's great. We'll chat with Ricky a bit later, but let's talk about your friends from season one that we'll get to see. What was it like reuniting with them?"

I thought back about the last few months and decided to give a majorly condensed version of the reunions.

"I returned from Joffrey about three months ago, and was really excited to find out some of my closest friends from the competition had moved to the area. Brianna, the runner up from the show and a beautiful dancer, and I really bonded during our time together on the show, since we were both there until the end, so having someone here who had almost the same experience as me was really comforting. Hadley and I clicked instantly, her, Brianna, and I were always together during the competition, so when we all saw each other it was like no time had passed. Jordyn has always been the little sister that I never had, so getting to watch her start high school with us is so fitting. I love getting to drive her to school, hear about all of her problems, help her with her homework, it's just great." I paused, wondering how to address Zack. We had been dating for a little bit now, and we had both posted on social media about it, so I guess it would be weirder if I didn't mention him than if I did. "And Zack," I paused again, trying to find the words, "Zack I had no idea would be here when I came home. After we went our separate ways a few years ago, I thought I was never going to see him again, let alone live across the street from him. I'm really glad though we found our way back to each other though." That felt right. Kevin seemed to like that answer too, and we moved onto the dancing footage. They quickly struck all of the equipment and moved to handheld cameras, clearing the space for me to dance, lifting my worries from before.