Chapter 11

Zack eventually drove us back home, both arriving to empty houses. I opened the door, realizing it was only one thirty, and no one would be home for at least two hours. I called my mom and collapsed onto the couch, Rufus happily joining me. The phone rang three times before she answered.

"Hey sweetheart, everything okay?" She asked me over the chatter in the background.

"No." I sighed and the chatter started to fade away.

"I'm out to lunch with Mrs. Gina. I stepped outside for a second, what's happening?" She asked me, clearly concerned.

"I told Travis we needed to take a break, Zack just drove me home. I'm sorry, I should've told you I was leaving school before I did it, I just needed to get away." I sniffled and felt a blanket of guilt cover me.

"Don't be sorry at all. I can be home in thirty minutes okay? I'll tell Gina there was an emergency." I could her the worry in her voice as she headed back in towards the voices.

"No, no. It's okay. Enjoy your lunch. I'm gonna take a nap I think. I'll see you in a few hours." I didn't want her to put her life on hold for me again. She hesitated before answering.

"Okay. I love you. I'll be home by four." I said goodbye and hung up the phone. I ran upstairs and changed into my pajamas, and then headed back downstairs and turned on Brooklyn Nine Nine and Rufus sat on my lap. I laughed at Jake Peralta's attempt at a "Full Bull Pen" when there was a knock at the door. I dragged myself to the front of the house and saw Zack in a tank top and fuzzy pajama pants standing there through the window. I opened the door and he had a box of pizza and a bag of chips with him.

"I realized you didn't get to eat lunch."

Sitting on the couch, both in pajamas and stuffed with pizza, I looked up at Zack who was happily watching my favorite show, perfectly content with just sitting here, and being with me. I rested my head on his bare shoulder and I could feel him look down at me. He hesitantly placed his hand on my knee and I snuggled in closer. The door opened and Kyle ran in, disappointed to see the TV was already taken.

"Not fair." He groaned as he hopped into a recliner. He looked over at Zack and I and gave me a questioning look. "Maddie, I have a lot of homework and I don't understand it. Can you come help me? Upstairs?" He asked me standing up and I followed him up the stairs. Knowing that there was no homework, I wondered what Kyle needed to talk about in private. He closed his door behind us and I propped myself onto his bed. He turned around and faced me. "Why were you all up on Zack?"

"What? I was not "all up" on Zack! That's crazy!" I defended myself as Kyle put his backpack down.

"No it's not. Mom told me what happened because she said you'd be here. She didn't say anything about Zack, and she didn't say you and Travis broke up. It's not fair to either of them that you're doing this." He stated and I felt more guilt come over me.

"Doing what?" Knowing full well what he was talking about.

"Madison."

It felt as if someone threw a brick at my stomach. I got off the bed and opened the door, not wanting to get disciplined by my younger brother.

"Listen, it's complicated Kyle. You wouldn't get it."

"I do get it! You used to come to me with stuff all the time! Now you barely acknowledge me, because you're too busy with whichever guy is giving you attention that week!" Kyle fumed. I stopped dead in my tracks. I slowly turned back around to face him.

"What?"

"You heard me."

We both stood their in silence, not knowing what to say, not knowing who was at fault. Kyle grabbed his backpack angrily, and shoved past me.

"Where are you going?" I finally spoke up as he stomped down the stairs.

"Anywhere but here."

"Kyle." I started to run down the stairs but Kyle had already left the house. I ran outside and saw him walk up to Nick's door. I quickly texted Nick, asking him to watch Kyle while he cooled down and went back inside. Zack was standing in the front room, clearly unsure of what to do.

"He's fine, just one of those sibling fights." I tried to brush it off and Zack stood in front of me.

"You guys don't fight." I looked up at Zack, who was clearly concerned, but I had a bad enough day without having to deal with Kyle's drama.

"It's fine." I continued to try to move past him, but Zack placed his hands on my shoulders.

"You're allowed to be upset, you know that, right?" For some reason, with him trying to hug me, Kyle's words kept ringing through my ears. Do I not even notice Kyle anymore? Am I too concerned with boys? Why would he say that if I wasn't?

"I just need to be alone, I'm sorry." I pulled away from Zack and headed upstairs, leaving him alone in my front room.

Around five o'clock, my door creaked open, my mom poking her head in. I rolled over to face her, underneath my mountain of blankets.

"Hey sweetie," she said quietly and sat on the edge of my bed. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"I don't know. He just got too controlling, and didn't want me to be friends with certain people, and I didn't want him to run my life, but I don't want him out of it." I explained, unwrapping myself from my blanket burrito.

"Hm...well, is that "certain person" Zack?" She stroked my hair. I shook my head yes as I laid it on her lap. "Is it because you have feelings for Zack?" I shook my head no. "Are you sure?" I shook my head no again. I didn't know if I did, I just knew I wanted this mess to be over. "Do you still want to date Travis?" I shrugged. "Okay, sit up and talk to me. I can't do much with nodding and shrugging." She smiled and helped me up.

"I don't know. I know I don't want him controlling me, but I know I want him in my life still. I know I want Zack in my life too, but I don't know how. I know I don't want this stupid drama every freaking day."

My mom nodded her head, and let out a deep sigh.

"Well, Kyle told me about your fight. He told me you had Zack over," I went to defend myself quickly, "Which is fine, you're not in trouble for that." She eased me, "but why'd you have him over? Why'd you have him drive you home? Why'd didn't you have Riley or Nick, why him?" She questioned and I shrugged. "You know why."

"Because he was there. He always is."

"He's good like that." We sat there, her playing with my hair, thoughts of Zack and Travis racing through my head. "Well, it's five twenty, do you want me to call and cancel your rehearsal at six with Ricky?" She asked me and I sat up.

"No. I need to go, it'll be good for me." I got out of bed and took a quick shower. 

I hopped out of the shower and threw my hair up into a pony tail, put on black leggings, a gray sports bra, a black shirt and my black Nike's. I grabbed my dance bag and ran downstairs.

"Very colorful." My dad joked as I walked into the kitchen. I gave him a hug and saw Kyle sitting at the table doing homework.

"Bye bud, I'll see you later." I placed my hand on his back and he grabbed his stuff and walked upstairs. I sighed and grabbed a water bottle as my mom entered the kitchen.

"Why is he in a mood?" My dad asked once Kyle was out of earshot.

"Because apparently I'm a shitty sister who's boy crazy." I rolled my eyes and started to head outside, leaving my dad shocked and confused.

"Language!" My mom called after me as she followed behind me. I stepped outside to see Zack checking their mail. He smiled and gave a small wave and I returned it with a small smile as I climbed into the car.

"hmm." My mom smiled as she got into the car and I rolled my eyes and looked out the window at Zack as we drove down the street.