Chapter 18

I walked back into my own house, feeling so light, which was quickly crushed by my parent's presence at the kitchen table. My mom looked more tired than ever, my dad looked just plain disappointed. I stood behind my chair, facing them.

"I was going to,"

"We know." My dad cut me off. I bounced up and down on the tips of my toes, anxiously waiting for the next sentence. It didn't seem to come.

"I just needed to,"

"We know." Yet again, nothing followed. My mom stayed silent, having yet to meet my eyes.

"I'm sorry,"

"We know."

"Okay, so what else am I supposed to say?" I blurt out and stood flat on my feet. My dad shifted in his seat, sitting up straighter. "Sorry." I lost all the confidence it took to say that with his one look.

"Sit down." He said sternly but quietly. I quickly took a seat in the chair and he ran his hand through his hair. "We are not angry you applied to Juilliard. We are not angry that you felt confident enough to fill it out on your own. We are disappointed that you did this over a week ago, and lied about it. Why? Did you think we'd be upset? Did you think we'd be angry?"

"Aren't you?" I asked, truly confused about the point of this lecture. If they're not upset, why am I here?

"Well, yes. Not because you did it. Because you lied about it." Dad explained and I nodded. "Mom asked you today if you've started it, let alone submitted it."

"Okay, but I didn't lie. I told her I hadn't gotten accepted yet." I tried to defend myself, which seemed to only make them more upset.

"Madison," my mom finally spoke up. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I just got a wave of courage, and figured if I didn't do it then, I wouldn't." I shrugged, which was the truth. "I figured you'd be upset that I did it without you, so I was trying to find a good way to tell you. This was not the plan." I tried to joke- it was not well received.

"Steve, give us a minute." My dad got up and left the kitchen, heading upstairs. I stirred in my seat and my mom placed her hands out to grab mine. Unlike her current presence, they were comforting. "I am your biggest supporter. I know your father would beg to differ, but I am your biggest fan. I took you to California for three months when you were thirteen just so you could dance. I take you rehearsals every night so you can dance. I am at every competition, recital, rehearsal, after party, everything. I want to be there for you always. The truth is that I can't be. After this year, you're an adult. I can't be by your side, no matter how much I want to be. You've worked towards this for so long. I just wanted to be there for it." She squeezed my hand and I got up to hug her. I sat on the floor and rested my head in her lap as she ran her hands through my hair.

"I'm sorry. It wasn't my plan to hide it from you for so long. Just the longer I waited, the harder it was to tell you." She nodded and kissed my hair.

"It's okay, it's not like you're hiding an acceptance letter from me or anything." She helped me up and gave me a hug. "I know you're dad seems mad, but he's not. Just a little sad and trying to shake you up for making him feel things." She let out a light laugh and I smiled. She looked over at the clock and blinked a few times. "9:45? Already?"

"I mean, with rehearsal, Riley's break up, her start up, me and Zack, now this, you're probably mommed out." I laughed and she cocked a brow. "Hm?"

"What about you and Zack?" She questioned, as I realized I exposed myself. I tried to quickly cover it up, much to my failure. "Nope, tell me. We're not having another lying conversation."

I rolled my eyes at her attempt of a joke, and fessed up. "We're dating now. Like for real this time." Mom beamed and reached for her phone. "Nope! Put it down!" I lunged for the phone, knowing she was about to text everyone she knew.

"Let me have this!" She begged and I shook my head as she locked her phone again. "Fine, but I'm telling your father." She winked and kissed my hair. "Go up and get some sleep. You still have school tomorrow."

————————————————————————

The next day school just seemed to drag on forever. Zack had a doctors appointment so I hadn't seen him all day. I was in my economics class, staring out the window, trying to see if his car was parked next to mine yet. A wad of paper hit my head and brought my attention back to the class. I looked around and noticed it was Travis who tossed it, while Mr. Meyers was trying to get my attention.

"Well Madison?"

My face burned and I scanned the board trying to figure out what we were talking about. There were just a bunch of different graphs drawn on the white board. Travis kicked my desk and motioned to the paper. I quickly opened the wad of paper and saw production possibilities frontier dumbass scribbled across the crinkled page.

"Uh that would be the production possibilities frontier?" I answered, sounding more like a question.

Mr. Meyers sighed and hit his yardstick against the board, pointing to the model. "Correct. Maybe next time we pay attention so we don't have to be asked more than once." Asshole. I turned around to Travis and mouthed thank you. He nodded and looked down at his notes.

The bell rang and the classroom quickly emptied. I wanted to talk to Travis, but I wasn't sure why. Part of me wanted to tell him I was sorry for how things ended, that I wanted to still be friends, and I so badly wanted to talk about the season finale of Brooklyn Nine Nine with him. The other part of me knew it was smarter to not talk to him and to keep my distance. I think he thought that too, as he brushed past me in the hallway. Probably for the best, considering he did just call me a dumbass.

I made my way to my locker, weaving through the crowd of kids in the hallways. I finally made it and sighed. I saw Hadley walking towards the cafeteria with Brianna and quickly grabbed my lunch to catch up with them. I tugged on the back of Brianna's bag and she turned around and I placed my arms over their shoulders, squeezing in between them. "Ready for tomorrow?"

"I need a girls night so badly, you don't even understand." Brianna tried to laugh and I squeezed her shoulder.

"I'm just excited to finally get to catch up. A group chat isn't enough." Hadley said as we made our way to the table. I saw Zack sitting there talking to Nick, and my face immediately lit up. Brianna pushed me towards him and I ran up behind him and wrapped my arms around him. He placed his hands on top of my and I could feel his smile as I rested my chin on his shoulder. He turned his head and kissed my cheek as I sat down, causing the table to raise eyebrows. He draped his arm around my shoulder and continued his conversation with Nick.

"Okay apparently we really do need to catch up?" Hadley widened her eyes and laughed a little. I blushed and Zack kissed the side of my head. The buzzed in excitement, asking all types of questions.

"When did happen?"

"How did it happen?"

"Why didn't you tell us?"

"Does Jordyn know yet?"

"What about your parents?"

"Have you done it yet?"

That last one was courtesy of Nick, followed by a swift slap to the back of the head, courtesy of Brianna.

"Okay, okay," Zack put his hands up and started answering questions. "Last night, at my house, it literally hasn't even been a day yet so calm yourselves, parents know, Jordyn doesn't, and trust me, you'd know." Zack ended the questions with a sly fist bump with Nick, followed by whacks to both of their heads. Zack cleared his throat and ran his hand up and down my arm. "You would never know. That it strictly our business. How dare you ask such a thing Nicholas." He turned his head back to me and gave me a goofy smile.

I rolled my eyes and shoved his cheek, "Oh good save Zachary." He leaned back in and quickly kissed my lips and a smiled crawled onto my face.

"Oh so much to catch up on."