Chapter 7

By Friday afternoon, I had calmed down, but I still hadn't talked to Zack. The plan had yet to change, and we were all still going to the football game. After school Hadley, Brianna, and Riley came over to get ready for the game.

"What should I wear?" I asked as I rummaged through my closet.

"What are the school colors again?" Brianna asked and we all laughed.

"Yellow and blue." Riley smiled as she flipped through a magazine on my bed.

"Well, Zack gave me four jerseys with his number on them for us to wear." Hadley pulled out some shirts from her bag.

"Yeah, not gonna happen." I sarcastically laughed and kept looking through my closet.

"Maddie, come on! It's his last game in high school. Travis won't care, it's for a game, plus we're all wearing them." Brianna begged.

"Mads, don't be the only one who isn't wearing it." Riley handed me one. I sighed and held the blue jersey with gold letters up against me. "Torres 16". Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I was making it. This could be the first step to going back to normal, and being the bigger person didn't seem like the worst thing.

"Alright fine." I agreed and put it over my white tank top. I grabbed a pair of ripped denim shorts, a slipped on a pair of vans.

"You look so cute Mads." Riley smiled as she put her long wavy blonde hair into a ponytail. All of us were in our jerseys, and I had to admit, they were pretty cute.

"Y'all look so cute. I'll give him this, Zack knows how to order jerseys." I smiled and brushed out my hair. I quickly gave my hair a few curls.

"So, are you and Zack okay now? I know it's been kind of awkward lately." Brianna asked as we continued to get ready.

"We haven't really talked about it. We said some hurtful things to each other the other day, but it is what it is. I've calmed down, I don't know if he has, but I'm going to support him tonight because that's what friends do." I answered her and Hadley smiled.

"Good for you. Don't let a little fight ruin your senior year." Hadley supported me.

"I still thinks he's just jealous." Brianna shrugged and I rolled my eyes.

"Don't make it worse." I laughed, somewhat joking. The last thing I needed was more drama with Zack.

"Are we ready?" Hadley asked and we all headed out to the game. The car ride over was filled with laughter, snacks, and loud music. We pulled into our school stadium and found Travis, Tyler, and Nick in the stands. We walked up the stairs to them and gave them all hugs.

"Nice jersey." Travis said, clearly annoyed.

"I'm supporting a friend. If Jordyn had one, we'd be wearing that one." I whispered to him and went to hug Tyler.

"Love the shirts. Who planned that one?" He joked and I lightly shoved his shoulder. We took our seats and watched the cheerleaders do their opening cheer.

"Go Jordyn! Whoo! Little J!" We all shouted and clapped for her. The football players ran in and we all screamed. Number sixteen, Zack, looked up and saw our matching shirts. He waved and we all cheered some more.

By halftime, we were winning 56-49, and we were all feeling pretty good. They had all the seniors on the team line up in the center of field, for the senior tributes.

"Mike Rhodes."

"Brian Sullivan."

"Zackary Torres."