Chapter 16

I closed my door behind me and immediately started jumping up and down. My mind was racing, thrilled that I finally took everyone's advice and just went for it, not caring how Travis would feel. Rufus slid across the hardwood floor to meet me, panting in excitement.

"Hi buddy!" I greeted my dog as he ran in circles around me. I smoothed down his fur and headed upstairs to change. I threw my styled hair up into a messy ponytail, put on my favorite pair of pajama pants and a tank top, and took off all my makeup. I looked at myself in the mirror, and was drawn to my new necklace. I held the star pendant in my hand and couldn't help myself from smiling. My phone buzzed, and I realized Ricky had made a group chat with all of his wedding party. I quickly responded, giving a general "super excited! this is Madison btw!" text, and sat on my bed.

I didn't know exactly what we were, but I honestly didn't care. I was happy, and this was the first time I had genuinely felt this way in months. I felt like I could do anything, so I did. I grabbed my laptop and opened it up to my Juilliard application. I quickly filled out all my generic information, and chose my favorite dance videos. I chose one from my solo rehearsal to "Wake Me Up" with Ricky the other day, I chose my duet with Zack "All of the Stars", one of our trios to "Sit Still Look Pretty", and some clips from Joffrey. I sent the videos to Ricky to get his approval, which was almost immediate. Feeling oddly courageous, I submitted the application. An alert from Juilliard lit up my phone, and I had a miniature heart attack.

Thanks for your submission! Your acceptance will be communicated by March 1st.

I flopped back onto my bed. I didn't exactly expect an acceptance letter that quickly, but a girl can dream. I heard the door open downstairs and realized it was past midnight. I kept my cool as I strolled down the steps, especially once I noticed Gina was here.

"Hey sweetie, we thought you'd be asleep." Dad looked relieved as he kissed my head and Kyle laughed.

"No you didn't. You thought she'd have her tongue down Zack's throat." My cheeks burned and dad laughed uncomfortably.

"You're ballsy today, aren't ya?" I glared at him and he got the message and bolted up the stairs. I turned back to all the adults staring at me and I smiled lightly.

"How was your evening?" Mom asked nonchalantly and Gina leaned in from her seat at the counter. I knew they wanted to hear every detail, but there was no way I was telling them with my Dad standing right behind me.

"Oh it was fine." I shrugged and mom squinted at me as I tried to roll my eyes back to signal "dad is right here who do you think I am?" I think she got it.

"Mhm," She definitely got it. She turned to my dad and gave him a quick eyebrow raise. "Steve, do you mind going to help Kyle?"

Dad cocked his head and looked at me, who was giving a very forced, very fake smile.

"With what?"

He caught on. Mom tapped her fingers on the counter as she thought of an excuse.

"Oh you know," more tapping. "Stuff." She drilled her lips and I stifled a laugh. It had been too long to be a believable excuse anyways. Dad rolled his eyes and headed up the stairs. Mom craned her neck to watch him, and once she was out of sight, her and Gina attacked.

"What happened?"

"Are you two dating?"

"Would it be weird if I posted those pictures because you aren't dating?"

"Of course they're dating, Gina! Aren't you?"

"Oh, she's not answering."

"Oh my goodness."