Chapter 9

I was sitting on the couch in my dance clothes, mindlessly watching 'The Office', when my mom sat next to me. I didn't even look at her, still in a trance from this morning's events.

"Hey sweetie," she gently tapped my shoulder. I turned my head slowly to her, my puffy cheeks and red eyes still in full effect. "Ricky called, and rehearsal is canceled tonight. He said Gavin proposed last night, and they're meeting up with family tonight." She was clearly excited, and I let a smile slip.

"That's so great." I managed to say, still wanting to cry.

"Go talk to him. It's 5:30, it's been a few hours. I'm sure he's calmed down by now. You'll work through this." She kissed my hair and went back to the kitchen. I reluctantly stood up and grabbed my purse. I walked out to the car and drove to his house, in a trance. Sitting in his driveway, I realized I made a terrible mistake. I'm sure he hasn't told his family, and even if he had, I can't just show up here. He has three siblings, and it's a Sunday night, I'm sure they had plans. I started to pull out of the driveway when Tyler came outside. I parked the car and rolled down my window as he approached me.

"I know what happened, don't worry." He rested his arms on the car door.

"I just don't think I can go in there. It's too rude, I'm sure you all have plans." I shook my head, coming up with every possible reason not to go in.

"Maddie, come in. The girls are at the park with our parents, for at least another hour. Travis is in his room, come on." He opened my door and I dragged myself out. I made my way up the stairs and looked in the open bedroom door. Travis was laying in his bed, blaring music, and tossing a ball up and down, letting it hit the ceiling and then fall back to the bed. Thump, thump, thump. "He's been doing this for three hours." Tyler whispered to me as he walked to his room. I took a deep breath, and knocked on the door.

"Can I come in?" I asked quietly.

"Mads?" He looked up and paused the music. I nervously looked around the room, and he sat up and nodded. I made my way in and sat at his desk in his rolling chair. I lightly swayed in the seat, waiting for him to speak. Thump, thump, thump. It had to have been a solid five minutes before either of us said anything-and of course, it was at the same time.

"Can we please talk?"

"What happened earlier?"

I bit my lip nervously, and tried to contain my laughter- something Travis failed at. His infectious laugh only made me tentatively crack a smile, catching his attention. He motioned for me to sit with him and he scooted over. I sat down next to him, and eased myself against the backboard.

"I didn't want this to happen." He grabbed my hand and started playing with my fingers, signaling to me that he had calmed down.

"Neither did I, but it did." I sighed, realizing I hadn't calmed down yet. He quickly noted this, and lifted my chin up with his index finger. I looked into his beautiful deep blue eyes, and he looked concerned. His lips were trying to form a smile, but just couldn't, his facials were soft, compared to his usual smirks and winks, he seemed upset.

"I'm so sorry I yelled at you earlier. I love you so much, and trust you more than anything." He lowered his tone, and rubbed his thumb on the palm of my hand.

"If you trusted me, you wouldn't have gotten mad. It hasn't been easy on me. Every time you're around,  I limit my contact with him. You're the one who told me to go take our picture, which he changed the pose because he didn't want you to feel awkward. Even after all that though, you still get mad because he lives across the street and I talk to him?" I barely looked up at him. I didn't know what I was saying at this point, I was just trying to make a point.