Chapter 3

After spending three weeks getting back into routine and things were finally somewhat normal. It was just the O'Connors back in my house, with Hadley and Brianna living ten minutes away, I had started going back to my regular dance studio, and school was officially starting, meaning having to face Zack everyday. Getting my mail at a different time than him was one thing, but avoiding him in homeroom is a different story.

I brushed my hair in the mirror, dreading this first day back. I looked my outfit up and down, and decided it wasn't right. I changed four times before I decided on a salmon shirt with blue jeans and white Vans. I quickly applied some mascara and lipgloss and headed downstairs, to find mom making two cups of coffee.

"Happy last first day!" She handed me a flowery mug.

"Wait- are you willingly giving me coffee?" I raised an eyebrow at mother, who firmly believed that kids don't need coffee, even if they're almost eighteen.

"Yes, I know today might be a challenging first day, so I figured a little extra energy couldn't hurt." She warmly smiled. "Don't make me regret it." I took a sip of the hot beverage and quickly realized I was not a fan.

"Yeah, thanks but no thanks." I stuck my tongue out from the bitter drink and set my mug down.

"Are you excited?" She asked me as I made a bowl of oatmeal.

"I guess, I just know it's going to be really weird. I haven't seen most of these people since I left, the first time." I shrugged as I turned on the microwave.

"Right, but you'll have all of your closest friends with you at school." She reminded me.

"And some I don't want to be friends with." I thought of Zack.

"Sweetie, it didn't end badly between you two. You don't have to be so upset towards him." She sighed as I grabbed my hot bowl from the microwave. I huffed and sat down next to her.

"I know, it's just so weird seeing him. I thought I'd never have to see him again, so I didn't care as much when we broke up." I took a bite.

"Do you care now?"

"What? No! I'm very happy with Travis." I choked on my oatmeal as I defended myself.

"You can care sweetheart." She reminded me as she rubbed my back. I was about to mention that he was very inconsiderate about me being with Travis, but I figured it wouldn't change her mind.

"Yeah, I know." I gave in and put my bowl in the sink, and grabbed my backpack.

"Okay, so remember it's Jordyn's first day of high school, so show her around, same with Brianna and Hadley since they haven't been there before. Also if Zack has questions or tries to talk to you, just be nice." She instructed as I grabbed my keys.

"You seem to forget, this is my first day at this school too." I laughed as I hugged her goodbye.

"Oh I know, but you know the area. You've been on the campus thousands of times." She was right, the campus was shared with the kindergarten through eighth grade classes, meaning I had gone there until ninth grade.

"Fine, I'll be a good person." I rolled my eyes as I opened the door to see the dark sky. "Why does school start before the sun starts?" I rolled my eyes as I walked out.

"Did you really think you were leaving without a picture?" Mom stopped me. I posed for about a thousand photos, and finally drove to Jordyn's to pick her up. I pulled into her driveway to find an excited Jordyn, hair curled, makeup perfected, and outfit just right for the first day of high school.

"Good morning!" She chirped as she slid into the front seat.

"Good morning! Excited?" I asked, already knowing the answer.