Chapter 8

"Madison, it's almost six! We've got to go!" My mom shouted up the stairs as I got ready for my charity showcase rehearsal with Ricky.

"Do you know the style he's going to do?" I called down, as I put my hair up in a ponytail. I had gotten home about thirty minutes ago, from my usual studio, and did not prep enough for tonight before I left.

"He said be prepared for anything, so be prepared!" She yelled and I threw all my shoes into a bag. I ran down the stairs in my black leggings and cropped white tee shirt. "Ready?" She asked me and I nodded as I slipped on my flip flops. "Head our to the car, I'm going to check on Kyle before we leave." She walked upstairs as I walked outside. I closed the door and saw Zack grabbing his mail. He looked up and gave me a big wave.

"Didn't you just come back from dance?" He asked me as I crossed the street to meet him.

"Yeah, but Ricky called last night and wants me to do this charity showcase with him." I smiled, excited just thinking about it.

"No way! Look at you, doing showcases!" He said encouragingly.

"I'm so excited, especially to work with Ricky."

"Tell him I say hey! It's been forever."

"I know, I haven't seen him since our season. He went on tour with Lady Gaga again I think." I thought back to Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition.

"That was a really good year." Zack reminisced. I tilted my head slightly, and my lips curled into a small smile.

"It really was."

"I don't want to keep you, go have a good rehearsal, let me know how it goes." He smiled and I walked away.

"Thanks, I will! Bye!" I climbed into my car as my mom walked out and waved to Zack.

"Nice to see you, Mrs. O'Connor!" He shouted across the street and my mom smiled.

"You too, sweetie! Tell your mom I say hello! We'll have you all over for dinner soon!" She called back as she got in the car. She buckled up and started to pull out of the drive, and head off to rehearsal. "Glad you two are on good terms again. That whole family is so kind." She said to me while keeping her eyes on the road.

"We weren't really ever on bad terms."

"Sweetie, I'm not dumb. I was your age once, I know when you're on bad terms with someone, especially with an ex." She gave me a side eye, catching me in my lie.

"Well, we're all good now." I replied dryly, bothered for some reason by the idea of her thinking we were friends.

"Okay, good." She genuinely smiled, and turned on the radio and played my favorite songs.

We walked into the unfamiliar building, and there was a tall man wearing a suit, and an earpiece in sitting at the front desk. He held up one finger to us, as he typed into the computer. I looked at mom and she whispered "fancy!" to me and I giggled quietly.

"Alright, thank you. Goodbye." The man clicked his earpiece and stopped typing, and looked up at us. "How can I help you?"

"Hi, I'm Madison O'Connor, I'm here to work with Ricky." I smiled and he started typing.

"Ma'am, what's your name?" He asked my mom, not looking up.

"Coreen O'Connor" more typing. He handed us two badges and continued typing. He pressed his earpiece again.

"Miss. O'Connor is here, can I send her up? Mhm, okay. Yes sir." He pressed the earpiece. "Mr. Palomino is ready for you. Third floor, second door on the right. Enjoy ladies." He smiled and continued typing. We walked into the elevator and clicked the third button.