Chapter 15

The next week was blurred together, a full cycle of group, duet, and solo rehearsals, joined with the pressures of senior year, and anxiety of college applications. My Saturday morning was spent deciding where I wanted to apply, and completing all the hundreds of requirements in effort to meet the deadline.

"What about University of Florida?" My dad hinted, being a proud alumni. I sighed and stared at the piles of transcripts, letters of recommendation, test scores, and research that had taken over the kitchen table.

"It's not a dance school." I looked back to my dimmed laptop screen to see my exhausted reflection, messy hair and all.

"Right, but you can still study it. Their musical theatre program is phenomenal Maddie." He persuaded as my mom entered the house, Kyle trekking behind her.

"We're home!" Kyle shouted as he walked into the kitchen, covered in the orange clay from the baseball field.

"Hey bud, sorry I couldn't go to your game. Blame college." I apologized as he came over and hugged me. He left a stain of orange on my oversized gray "Juilliard" sweatshirt.

"I'm sorry!"

"Don't worry about it." I shrugged and took a sip of my tea. I ran my finger over the mouse, waking up my laptop, revealing my nearly empty Juilliard application.

"Isn't that your top choice?" He asked me as he grabbed a water.

"Mhm." I took another long sip.

"So why isn't it filled out? Shouldn't that be the easiest one?" He sat across from me, and everyone's attention shifted to me.

"That makes it the hardest one. Everything I want to do in life is dependent on this form. I could easily fill out University of Florida because I don't care about it-sorry Dad- but it doesn't hurt me if I don't get it. This one would crush me." I pursed my lips together, refreshing the page, praying that they eliminated the essay portion. My mom came over and rubbed my shoulders, sympathetically.

"Why don't you go shower Kyle, we have to leave for the party in two hours." My mom urged him away, meaning there was going to be a stressful college talk. Once Kyle had made his way up the stairs, mom sat in his seat. "You know this isn't everything. For the field you want, where you go to school is only half the battle. You're training and experience is so important, and you trained at Joffrey at 13, after winning a nationally televised event. Any school would be lucky to have you, you know that." She comforted me and I nodded, still looking at my laptop.

"Mads, we want you to go wherever you'd be happiest, and we'll support you wherever that is." My dad placed his hand on top of mine. I looked up and him and squeezed his hand.

"Thank you, both of you. It's just so stressful." I shrugged and my mom got up and hugged me.

"We love you pumpkin." My dad gave a small wink and I smiled, not having heard that nickname since the competition.

"Go get ready sweetheart, maybe take shower." My mom ruffled my greasy hair and I gave them both a quick kiss on the cheek and cleaned up my mess.

I got out of the shower, and wrapped my sopping hair up in a towel. I wrapped myself in a fluffy navy robe, and opened up my closet. I stared at my wardrobe, unsure what to wear. I sorted through my variety of jumpsuits, rompers, blouses, and dresses before texting our group chat. 

AUDC Gals🤩- Maddie: Hey loves, what are y'all wearing?
AUDC Gals🤩- Brianna: my blue jumpsuit
AUDC Gals🤩-Jordyn: a cute lil white dress
AUDC Gals🤩- Hadley: my flower print dress
AUDC Gals🤩-Hadley: JORDYN YOU CANNOT WEAR WHITE.
AUDC Gals🤩- Jordyn: doesn't the bride wear white though? there's no bride...
AUDC Gals🤩-Brianna: oh that's a good point
AUDC Gals🤩-Maddie: play it safe. wear your flower romper
AUDC Gals🤩- Jordyn: kk
AUDC Gals🤩- Hadley: MADS WEAR YOUR OFF THE SHOULDER BLACK DRESS
AUDC Gals🤩- Maddie: idk is that toooooo much?
AUDC Gals🤩-Jordyn: Zack wont think soooo:))
AUDC Gals🤩- Brianna: girl do it u would look SO good