Chapter 13

The next morning, I pulled my straight chestnut hair into a ponytail, and applied minimal makeup. I put on blue skinny jeans, a white cropped shirt, and my black Nike's. I checked the weather and the high was only sixty eight degrees. I saw Zack's jacket sitting on my chair and stared at it wondering if I should grab it. I quickly put it on and walked downstairs.

"Morning!" I chirped as I walked into the kitchen to make breakfast.

"Morning sweetie. There's some leftover hot water on the stove." Mom smiled as she sipped her coffee. I quickly grabbed a travel mug and a tea bag and made myself some tea. I took a sip of the steamy beverage and kissed her cheek.

"Where'd you get that jacket? It's soft." She rubbed my sleeve.

"I don't know, I found it in my closet." I lied and shoved my lunch in my bag.

"Well I like it." She took another sip of coffee. "How are you getting to school, do you need a ride?"

"No, Zack can drive me and Jordyn. Can we get my car fixed sometime this week?" I asked and she nodded.

"I'll set up an appointment. Go, don't make Zack wait."

"I'll see you later. Some of us may head over to the dance studio after school!" I informed her as I grabbed my backpack and dance bag.

"Okay, let me know. Have a good day." She waved me off as I stepped outside to the dark chilly morning. I saw Zack standing at his truck, throwing his stuff into the backseat.

"Hey, sorry about that." I apologized as I got in the car.

"Don't worry about it. I like your jacket." He smirked and I blushed. He pulled out of his driveway and we made our way to Jordyn's house.

"Morning!" She smiled and I turned around to face her. I gave her a look, trying to convey that something had happened between me and Zack, but I really don't think she understood. "Mads, are you okay?"

"Oh swell."

Standing at my locker before lunch, I scanned the hall for signs of Travis. I needed to end things with him, I couldn't deal with the constant feeling of guilt. I sent him a text, asking to meet up. Within moments, he was there.

"Hey." I sighed out, closing my locker. His eyes were puffed, his face pale, and he had huge bags. "How are you?"

"How do you think?" He spat out quietly.

"I'm sorry, I just-"

"You just what? Just decided out of nowhere that you didn't love me anymore?" He raised his voice, drawing stares.

"I never said that. I just needed space."

"My God, if you just needed space, none of this was necessary. It's been a day Madison, and it's been the longest day of my life. I get it, I pissed you off, can we please move on?" He grabbed my hand and I pulled it away.

"It was necessary. I didn't just need space because you pissed me off, I needed space because you were trying to control me. Please understand where I'm coming from." I didn't want to end things if I didn't have to, and the way things were looking, I was going to have to.

"Well sorry I didn't want you to act like someone else's girlfriend. Understand where I'm coming from, having to watch him be all over you and you just allow it? The amount of times I didn't say something, and the one time I did, you go insane!"