imma dip ||Dean||

imma dip

"Sam I'm so fucking nervous." You whisper to the giant man who's arm is linked through yours.

"Don't be. It's Lucas, you love him remember?" He looks down at you and gives you a reassuring smile. You give him a weak smile back. You smooth down your incredibly expensive wedding dress with your free hand and stare at the large wooden doors that are going to open up to your wedding any second.

"I just wish Dean was here." You sigh.

Dean Winchester was your best friend in the entire world. You'd known each other since you were still young enough to share a bath and were nearly inseparable. After you met Lucas a few years ago, he started to grow distant. You were still close and talked a lot but he suddenly had to go on way more hunts and was around less and less. The final nail went in the coffin when he sent back his wedding invitation with a fat X marking the "not attending" box. It just felt wrong not having him there for such a monumental thing.

"Here we go." Sam whispers and the doors open. Loud organ music fills your ears and you try not to wince when you see Lucas beaming at the end of the aisle. He wasn't nervous at all. Why were you?

You give small smiles and nods to the people you pass, focusing as hard as possible on your footsteps so you don't eat shit in front of four hundred people. The closer you get to the front the harder your heart beats until the loud thumpthump is drowning out the organ.

Sam kisses your hair and hands you off to Lucas, who greets you with a huge smile and squeezes your hand.

"Ladies and gentleman, thank you so much for attending this beautiful union of y/n  y/l/n and Lucas Murphy!" The priest begins. He's a large man who is sweating rather profusely and you try not to look at him too hard. You end up spacing out through his lengthy speech about love and marriage and commitment, only tuning back in when he starts with the vows.

"Y/n, do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband from this day forward, through sickness and health, for better or worse, til death do you part?" The priest asks you, looking at you with a hint of boredom because he already knows what comes next.

"I-" You scan the room for a second wishing to see Dean in the front row giving a thumbs up. His empty chair stares back at you and you realize that that empty chair meant more to you than a single moment with Lucas ever had. You stare at Lucas and try not to let tears form in your eyes.

"I uh... Imma dip." You suddenly say. You throw awkward finger guns at Lucas as you say it and give Sam a pleasing look before picking up your obnoxiously large skirt and bolting down the aisle. The room erupts in gasps and murmurs and you run faster, trying to escape the noise.

You don't know how long you run until you find an empty park, collapsing on the bench and crying. A few minutes later you feel a presence by you and look up to see Sam crouched in front of you.

"Hey kiddo." He gives you a sad smile.

"I really thought he'd come at the last minute, Sammy. All I could think about was that stupid empty chair and I just wanted him there." You sniffle. Sam sighs and hangs his head down for a second.

"Y/n, Dean cares about you so much. You know that. It was hard for him too, not being here for you. It's a lot harder for him to see the woman he loves marrying another man though. You have to understand that." He explains. Your head snaps back up to him and you frown.

"The woman he what now??" You exclaim.

"Oh cmon. You seriously haven't noticed him hanging on your every word for the last ten years? My brother literally thinks you hang the sun in the sky every morning."

"This is news to me. Big news. Would have been good to know two hours ago."

"I really thought you already knew." Sam shrugs. You both sit there in silence for a few minutes.

"I think I love him too." You whisper.

"I thought you already knew that, too."

———

Your hands won't stop shaking as you stare at the nearly deserted diner in front of you. The only other car in the customer lot is a shiny black impala. You send Sam a text saying you found the address he gave you and he sends back a thumbs up.

A small bell chimes on the door as you walk in and you stand there for a moment, just staring at Dean. His shoulders are hunched as he stares down at the empty table in front of him looking defeated.

The aggressively loud swishing of your dress gets his attention, and he does a double take when he sees you standing by his table. His eyes flick down to your bare left hand and his whole face lights up. You can't not smile whenever he smiles.

"Hey Dean."

I got sad and ran away to a hotel a few hours away am i a successful adult yet