Chapter 35: Drowned in Desire

The final week of summer break flew past in a blur of volleyball days and warm evenings in the backyard for Nakano and Tsukki.  Before they knew it, they were boarding a bus at a ridiculously early hour of a Thursday morning, headed once again for Tokyo.  Via mutual agreement, Nakano and Tsukki had respectively convinced Yachi and Yamaguchi to sit with them on the back bench this time.  When Tadashi tried to sit by the window on Tsukki's left, the blonde slid over, claiming the spot.  

"You know I'm going to want to sleep, Tadashi.  Just sit between Nakano and Yachi so you can chat." Tsukishima made a big show of settling himself in place, and then getting Nakano settled so he could play with her hair until he fell asleep.  Nakano rolled her eyes, apparently telling her boyfriend to 'just act natural' was not the best idea she'd ever had.

"Would you...uh...rather have the window on this side, Yamaguchi?"  Yachi asked the freckle-faced boy, glancing at the window to her right.

Yamaguchi froze.  What do I do? he thought.  I really want to sit next to Yachi, but what if I fall asleep on her and drool on her or something?  And I already did that once to Naka-chan and I really don't wanna do it again.  He trembled a bit, his body and brain completely unsure of how to handle the situation.  "Uh...what would you prefer, Yachi?" came tumbling out of his mouth, almost too fast.

Yachi blushed a pretty shade of pink as she slid over closer to Nakano.  "You can have the window seat, I don't mind being in the middle."  

Nakano grinned as Yamaguchi took the seat the little blonde offered him.  Yachi's been surprisingly brave about talking to Yams the past few days, she thought.  I hope this is a good sign for those two.  Kei mentioned he and Tadashi are working on a double date plan, that sounds like it will be so much fun.  She smiled sleepily as Yamaguchi and Yachi began chatting about school starting up again.  She snuggled back against Kei as he whispered in her ear.  "Looks like that went well."

She yawned and grinned.  "Mhmmm," she murmured, "You're comfy."

His fingers wound and unwound through her hair ever so gently.  "Is somebody feeling sleepy?"  His thumb started gently caressing her jaw and neck.  He never got an answer, as Nakano had already fallen asleep resting against his chest.  Her soft, regular breathing soon lulled her boyfriend to sleep as well.

Yachi chuckled, looking over at the couple.  "Looks like Nakano and Tsukishima are already sound asleep," she said, smiling at Yamaguchi.

Tadashi leaned over to look at his friends.  He couldn't stop a broad smile from coming across his face.  "It's so cool to see them so happy," he muttered.  

"They really are, aren't they?" Yachi said, startling Yamaguchi.  He hadn't thought she'd been able to hear him.  "It's like they were meant for each other.  They must have fallen in love at first sight."

Yamaguchi laughed aloud, causing Yachi to look at him strangely.  "Actually, it took them months to finally get together.  I think both of them have trouble admitting their own feelings to themselves, you know?  And I know Tsukki has trouble sharing his feelings with pretty much anyone.  Naka-chan seems to have trouble with that sometimes too, I think.  And yet they're both such...well...passionate people.  They both feel things with great intensity.  It's kind of amazing to me that they manage to get along as well as they do."

Yachi smiled at the boy as he rambled on about his friends.  "You really care about both of them, don't you, Yamaguchi?"

He smiled.  "Well, Tsukki and I have been friends since we were little, and Naka-chan...she's just been such a great friend to me, even though I've only known her for a short while."  He looked at the sleeping couple again.  "I hope someday, I get to be in a relationship like theirs," he mumbled, once again not realizing the blonde girl next to him was able to hear.  She colored gently as she hoped the exact same thing, staring shyly at the boy sitting next to her.