Measure 34: I Just Want To Talk To You

"Alright, now us chemists can focus on making plastic."

"Alright! Have no idea what it is though!" -Chrome

"I love your enthusiasm Chrome, ah youth~"

"What do you mean youth you're still a child Anzu."

"Damn it Senku let me be."

"Uhhh not to interrupt your bickering but— what? How are you gonna make plastic? Isn't it made from petroleum?" -Gen

"You're coming with me magician! This is what you get for getting me all hyped up!" Kaseki snatched Gen's collar and dragged him to his work area.

"Bye Gen~~!!"

"Bye Anzu..." he replied in a sad tone.

"Alright, well let's get moving. Can you two bring some wood over?"

"Yes sir!!" Chrome and I gathered a few wooden planks and I simmered the wood then boiled the little liquid that came out of it.

"Okay, you got the next step Anzu?"

"Mhm pour it over copper—"

"Wait wait wait! I'm already lost! You heated wood to get some liquid and then heated that one too, and then heat it again?! Is this right??" -Chrome

"We're modding the heck out of it, adding and removing ingredients. Chemistry is all about addition and subtraction. And thanks to this now we have: formalin!"

"Isn't that stuff used to preserve corpses?"

"It reeks! Why do you act like this is normal Anzu?!" -Chrome

"I don't know to be honest with you, I can't really smell it." That's right, I'm sick, I didn't even notice I couldn't smell properly. "But nevermind that, we just need coal ash now right?"

"Mhm, coal ash plus sodium hydroxide plus formaline makes humanity's first synthetic plastic: bakelite."

"R-Right, how do we get the ash then?" -Chrome

"We need a lot...do we even have that much?"

And so Kohaku, Chrome, Ginro, Kinro and Magma went to gather some coal for us.

Meanwhile, Senku and I made a copper sheet and molded it into an oven. Shove that into one of the houses and now they had indoor heating plus an easier way to cook food.

So by the time the coal-expedition team came back, we used the oven and said coal to gather the ash

So by the time the coal-expedition team came back, we used the oven and said coal to gather the ash. Senku climbed the roof of different houses and collected the ashes. I struggled a bit but I eventually climbed on too.

"Do you think the roof will break if I stay up here with you?"

"It really shouldn't, besides we don't even weigh that much."