Firelight

Luz's POV

"I'll rescue your son ma'am," I blurted before climbing on top of the lady's trash can and jumping onto the roof.

"You're just a kid! You'll get yourself killed!" a man yelled.

I ignored his comment and continued on heading to the window that led to a room inside. I launched myself through the window and landed on the floor. My eyes were starting to sting and it was hard to see from all the smoke that was trapped inside. I suddenly heard a boy crying nearby and that's when I stood up and followed his cry. I kept bumping into things but I drew closer to the little boy. At last, there he was shriveled up against a corner of his room.

I approached him and said," Hey kid. Don't worry, I'm here to rescue you. You'll be with your mom soon enough."

I held the boy in my arms and grabbed the blanket he was holding onto.

"I'm going to put this over your head so you won't inhale a lot of the smoke in this room," I put his blanket over him and focused on escaping the house.

I coughed from the smoke and did my best not to inhale as much. The bad thing was that I didn't know which way to go. It's really hard to see where I'm at.

"Crap! There's no time to search around to find an exit. Let's hope that I land outside when I crash through these walls. Hey kid, I'm about to go through a wall right now.  You need to hang onto me. I'll make sure you won't get a single scratch," I clenched my teeth as I got prepared to run as fast as I could.

"One, two, three!!!" I sprinted while I held onto the boy tightly.

I saw a wall and that's when I slammed the side of my body against it, breaking through.

"Big bush!" I summoned a bush on top of the concrete.

My back landed on the bush with the kid on top of me. It slightly hurt my body but I didn't care about the pain right now.

"My son!!" the mother and the three other adults ran up to us.

I let the kid run up to his mother as they were both crying and hugging each other. I sat up staring at the two when one of the adults offered me a hand. I grabbed it and the man pulled me up to my feet. Before any of us could say anything, firetrucks and ambulances stopped near the house very quickly. Firefighters were getting ready to fight off the fire while EMTs were coming to check if anybody needed medical attention.

"Is anyone inside the house?" a firefighter asked.

"No. No one is. This young mage here saved my son's life. Thank you so much for putting yourself in danger for my child. I deeply appreciate your kindness. You're a real hero. May I ask what your name is?" the mother wanted to know my name.

'My name?'

This woman doesn't know what I look like because of my mask and she's asking for my name. Heck, she even called me a hero. I really am meant to save people and be like Azura. I even made up a hero name for myself. Perfect timing for situations like this one where I get to tell everyone my hero name.

"I am going to be the first real hero you'll ever hear of. You can call me Firelight," I presented myself.

Everyone looked at me like I was some goddess. I didn't have enough time to chit-chat and stay for long because my mother would be arriving home soon.

"As much as I'd like to stay, I must head off. No need to offer me anything in return for helping this kid out. Oh and don't worry about me. My health is perfectly fine. I'm hoping you all will see me in the future. I wish everyone here a fantastic week. Goodbye now," I waved my hands as I ran home.