part fifty-eight

— jessie's pov
Garcia and I were working overtime trying to catch an unsub called 'Mr. Scratch' It's been taking days to track him down. " are we any closer to getting him?"
Penelope shakes her head.

then, all of a sudden, the lights go out. " what was that?"

" I don't know." she tries to run the generator to get back online, but it doesn't work. I leave her inside and go to the main room.

The team was lighting candles, Derek passes me one, and then Penelope calls from the round-table room.

" This is way worse than I imagined," we all look at each other, and she continues, " we've been breached."

" what are you talking about? We have layers of top-rate security." hotch adds.

" We totally do, and that's what scares me. Whoever did this is a literal genius." she pulls out an encryption code that she managed to salvage.

" he might work, in the nsa." is what I catch from Reid; I look at him and back through the case file.

Who is this guy?

Penelope managed to get online. After minutes of trying to override his code. Then, dereks phone rings, and he passes it to Penelope.

Reid and I were still looking through the hacking code; I didn't get much out of it. But, spencer was loving it. " this guy is a literal genius." he says, going through the papers. " some of this code is like einstein genius!" I smile, trying to get bits and pieces of the code.

" hotch found an address for Mr.scratch." Derek says, entering the round-table room. " let's go!" I look at them; of course, he means Reid should go, and I stay with Penelope. I nod, and they leave.

This code wasn't going to be easy, and it definitely wasn't going to be accessible without Reid. I decided to leave it and go to Penelope.

She was listening to some music, trying to drown out the whole serial killer hunting stuff. I sit next to her and dwell on the music too.

" so, Derek told me. you had a boyfriend!" I let out a sigh and look towards the computer screens. It was filled with kittens. She was nudging me.

" yea, yea, his name is James." she takes a sip out of her octopus mug.

" tell me more!" I smile and look at her.

I always thought they would be judgemental or something because I was raped, and now I'm dating. I thought they would think I was taking everything too fast that I wasn't ready. And in other cases, I wouldn't be prepared, but with him, it was different. I felt no pressure.

" he's cute and, umm, a great babysitter." I smile and look through some files Penelope had on the desk. I could sense Penelope was going into over-drive.

after she cold herself down, she started typing on her computer. " do you know anything about mom?" she looks at me with pitiful eyes. " it's just been four months, I'm really worried."

" well, I'm not supposed to tell you this, but; I got into Interpol's undercover database, and all I know is that she's still alive!" I look at her; was I supposed to be relieved. She lets out a queasy smile. Then, her phone rings.

I haven't talked to her, my own mother. I knew she was on a case, but at least she could send me a letter or something. I send her messages every day. Telling her how much I missed her and how my day has been. But, still no response.

This almost feels worse than when she faked her death because at least I thought she was dead... but now, it feels like she forgot about me.

" Penelope Garcia?!"

" yea, Peter Lewis has just been arrested." I could hear Rossi's voice behind the phone.

" is hotch ok?"

" yea, a couple of scratches, but he's gonna be ok." He takes a slight pause. " but, between you and I, Lewis did a number on him."

The team had finally arrived back; derek and I were going to stop by an all-night restaurant to meet up with Savannah.
we arrived and sat down. " how are you guys doing?"
she says, taking a bite out of her tacos. I smile and nudge my pasta.

" no work talk, out of work," Derek says, kissing her on the lips. I take a bite out of my pasta to distract me from the lip-locking.

" ok, Jessie, how schools?" she says, focusing her eyes on me.

" umm, it's ok. I have a friend." they both looked intrigued. " her name is Vanessa." I continue to nudge my vegetables.

" you ok?" I nod and take a bite of my pasta. I just missed Emily.