part forty-seven

— jessie's pov
Emily was staying for another week. Everything was normal. I roll out of bed and open my curtains. Too bright, I hear a ding on my phone.

James:
what time should we meet up?

That was today?! no, I can't go. Emily's here; she won't let me go. I don't want her to know I'm going with a guy.

I type the words: sorry, I can't go. I hover my hand over the send button. I couldn't click it. I throw my phone on the bed.

I like him.
I hear a knock at my door; pull yourself together.
" come in."

it was Emily; it was weird having her in the house. I know she didn't want to be here.

" good morning!" she says; she looks exhausted like she went to sleep two hours ago.

"I'm guessing you didn't get much sleep?" she plops on my bed; it seemed like she was going to pass out right then and there.

" shut up." she throws a pillow at my face. I laugh and lay next to her.

Break the question to her. Just ask. My mind was racing. How? How was I going to break it to her?

" can I go to Clara's house?"

" sure! for what?" of course, she was going to ask that.

" to help her watch the kids."

" you know, you're really helping that girl."

" she's not just a girl; she's like a sister." She nods and leaves the room, probably to go pass out in the guest bedroom.

I go through my closet; what does someone wear on a date. I go through my closet, maybe a casual dress?
A cami dress, a black silk dress. Mid-height. I could wear that with fishnet leggings and some black vans.

I take the clothes and shove them into my backpack. I put on regular clothes and make my way towards the kitchen.

Savannah was there; it looked like she was leaving for work.

" Why are you leaving so late?" I say, opening the fridge to get out some yogurt.

" no, good morning?" she packs an apple into her lunch.

I pour some cheerios on top of the yogurt and stir.

" sorry." I take a bite out of it.

"Your mom and I had a night." she started chugging water probably trying to get over the hangover. They probably went partying; Emily was going back to London in two days.

She grabs a spoon from the cabinet and takes a bite of my yogurt. She gives it a thumbs up and waves goodbye.

I take a few more bites and put it in the fridge for later.

I grab my key and look at the time; it was two... if I ran, I could still catch the bus. I yell goodbye to Emily and close the door behind me.

I could see the bus pole. I adjusted my backpack and ran towards it. I beat the bus by a second, but I made it on.

I take my seat and wait for the bus to drive towards Clara's house.

I check my bag; I have everything. I have my phone and my charger. Everything's good. I forgot to text him back.

Jessie:
is six good?

A couple of minutes pass; why would he respond so quickly when I took almost three hours to respond.

James:
yea, six sounds good. send me your address, and I'll see you then

I send him a copy of Clara's address. the bus stops, and I exit, walking up to her apartment. Everything was quiet. I knock on the door, and Clara slowly opens it putting her hand over her mouth.

ahhh, the kids were sleeping. she closes the door and directs me to her room, where she also closes the door.

" I'm applying to nursing school!!"

the news takes me by surprise; I know she got her GED. But, wow.

" Great! you'll do great." I hug her. her hair smelled like vanilla.

" sooo.. tell me about this guy." she sits on her bed, and I come right next to her.

" I don't know; his name is James."

— derek's pov
Alex put in her resignation letter; she had another week left, and then she would be gone. She decided it would be better for her and her husband.

I was finishing up paperwork, making sure that all the cases were well documented.

" have you guys told her yet?" spencer enters the room.

I shake my head and continue reviewing the papers.

"  it's not my place." it was Emily's; even though she had to know, instead of Emily addressing the problem, she just drank it away, expecting it not to be there in the morning.

" but, Emily is leaving in two days. that's not enough time for her to tell her and comfort her." I could hear Reid's voice slowly raising.

" then I guess she's not telling her," I wake up and head towards the bathroom.

— jessie's pov
I look at myself in the mirror; the dressed fit perfectly. I don't know if that's supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing.

" you look pretty!" Jade says, running into the room; I hold her before she bumps into the bed frame.

" yea, I guess I do." I put her on the bed. trying to put her wet hair into a ponytail. " let's go get your dinner!"  Walking into the dining room and put her on the chair, putting her spaghetti and meatballs in front of her. she digs in like a rabid animal. I hear the doorbell ring.

It's him.
I turn to Jade for a thumbs up; she gives me two. Ok, ok. I'm good. I'm ready.

Clara comes out and puts Eshiram in her high chair.

I open the door to reveal James; he looked a little above casually dressed. Ok, I'm not overdressed.

" hi." I break the silence awkwardly, smiling.

" hi, y-you look stunning." I smile and close the door behind me.

— derek's pov
" Hey, man, sorry for coming off that way earlier." I sit at the table across from Reid's.

" it's ok; I get it. you and Emily are two different types of  parents." 

Parent, I never used that word to describe myself. But, spencer was right; I was her legal guardian.

Alex comes and sits on top of the table.

" did they tell her?" Reid shakes his head.

" ya know, I'm right here!" I say, nudging her in the shoulder.