part fifty-one

— derek's pov
that case really hit me because of everything that happened to me when I was a child and everything with Jessie. I just want to put all those sick bastards six feet under.

Kate, the new agent, walks over to the seat across from me. " sorry for what happened to you when you were younger." she looks at me. Pity in her eyes. How did she know?

" How did you-" she cuts me off.

"I put everything together," I nod and check my phone. no texts from Jessie yet. " I just can't imagine anything like that happening to Meg; With all this social media, it's not safe."

" yea, it isn't. we try to protect them as much as possible, but it's in God's hands now." I place my phone on the table. It glows and reveals a picture of savannah, Jessie, and me.

" you have a kid?"

" it's complicated." she scoots in her chair, indicating that she's ready to hear the story.

" try me." I smile and begin to tell her...

— jessie's pov
it was day three of me visiting Emily alone in Europe. She took a couple of days off to be with me. We were at the market buying some pasta.

" mom, can we take the train back to your house?"

" I hoped you were going to say that my shoes can't take any more walking." she laughs as they ring up her stuff.

She pays, and we walk to the metro station. We sit all the way at the back; it wasn't filled up. It was nice and spacious.

I admired the scenery. Taking my phone out to take pictures. spencer is going to love these. I turn the camera to selfie mode, and Emily and I spam the phone with selfies.

" you like it here?" I nod; I love it. Everything is so chill and peaceful.

The train stops at our street, and we walk to the house. It was such a lovely house. Three bedrooms. Modern.

We change our clothes and head to the kitchen; we haven't made pasta together in a long time. Since I was eleven and I got first place in my dance competition.

— derek's pov
I pack up my stuff and get ready to clock out. Garcia and I make our way towards the elevator.

" what do you think of Kate?" she looks at me with the tell me all eyes.

" she's ok, very open and persevering, but ok." I check my phone. No missed calls or texts from Jessie. Is she really having this much fun?

" well, I think she's great. She tries to live up to my energy, but no one can. Except -." my phone rings and interrupts the conversation.

" Jessie." we both say at the same time. It was a FaceTime call. Garcia nudges me to slide it open.

" hi! Derek." I could see her face. It was bright and smiling. Happy.

" Hi, Jessie! I thought you forgot about me." I let a cheek-to-cheek smile.

" mom's wifi was down. I would never forget you! or your world-famous baby back ribs. I really miss those. Thank God! I'm coming back tomorrow."

" you don't like it there?" Garcia intrudes; it takes a minute for the signal to reach her. Her face lights up even more as Garcia's face pops up in the camera.

" I've missed you! And don't get me wrong, I love London, but I really want to be there with you guys."

— emily's pov
I could hear Jessie talking to Derek and Garcia. I didn't want to interrupt them. I walk into my room and shut the door. I missed this. Being a single mother and having Jessie all to myself again. I shouldn't think that way but God; I just missed having her so much.

My phone rings, I check the collar id. Mike. It was a FaceTime call. I lean towards the door to hear if Jessie was still on the phone. She was. I slide the phone and pick it up.

" hi, babe."

" hi, mike."

" hi, mike? am I a stranger?" He says jokingly; I don't answer, though. " ok... well, I miss you! when can I come over?"

" not now, Monday night, maybe?" I try not to give anything away with my voice.

" mom?!" Jessie's voice echoes through the house.

" I have to go, Mike, bye love you!" I hang up the phone as Jessie opens the door.

" Derek and Penelope said hi!" she says, putting her phone back in her pocket.

"who was that?"

" oh, um, work." she goes into my drawer and pulls out her favorite sweater, and quickly changes into it.
I could see her lower back still had healing scars. It gets me so mad at what she's been through. My phone starts to ring again.

" who's that?" she says, popping on the bed.

I check the caller id; it was work;

" it's work."

" again?" I nod and excuse her from the room.

" Hello, Emily Prentiss at Interpol."

— jessie's pov
I had to wake up early for my flight tomorrow. I turn off my light—last night in London. Gosh, I miss everyone. I pull out my phone and continue to text Clara. She was the only person that was really my friend, aside from James.

After a few hours of texting between James and Clara, my eyelids started getting heavy.

— emily's pov
" starting tomorrow?"

" yes!"

" ok, thank you, commander." I turn off my phone; I got assigned to an undercover case. It should last about a month. I need to tell Jessie. Just in case I ghost her for a month.

I walk towards her room; her door still had a dash of light. She was on her phone. I open the door. She pretends like she's asleep.

" I know you up." she smiles and sits upon the bed.

" you caught me. is everything ok?"

" yea, I just got assigned a case."

" that's good, right?"

" yea, but this one is an undercover operation. Which means..." she knew what it meant. her face was shifting. " I won't be able to talk to you for at least a month."

" oh," that's all the words that could come out of her mouth. She leans into my body, wrapping her arms around me. She was holding her breath.

She always did that when she was upset, even when she was little.

" it's ok to breathe." I could feel her body slowly relaxing. She nestled her head into my chest. I stroked her hair. " it's just temporary."